Ballast Water Management question

I am a captain on a ATB 5 man crew that pushes 1 of 4 manned oil barges in the N/E
My question, is the tug required to submit ballast report when the barge is man by a captain and a mate tankerman?.
Many times I will drop a barge off in New York then go and pick up a another barge take it to Boston so now I have two barges that require me to do 2 ballast reports. Shouldn’t each maned barge be required to submit their own ballast report as a manned vessels? Our company has a ATBs with unmand barges the tug has 7 man crew with the 2nd mate in charge of doing ballast reporting.
I cannot find any regulations on manned barges on filing ballast reports. In my opinion I would say that the manned barge is required to submit ballast report themselves and have a records on their own computer that they have submitted the ballast report not the tug that moved them.
So if barge number 1 has an inspection in New York, and I have barge number 2 two in Baltimore with the paperwork for barge number 1 with me I think that would cause a problem.
If anybody out there has ran into this problem or know a CFR that quotes this situation please let me know.
As for now my office says that the tug is responsible for the ballast, that I find is ridiculous.
Thanks OakAlley2

As with everything in this industry there is no simple answer. Your best bet is to review NVIC 07-04 which offers some specific guidelines for tugs and barges and coastwise vessels. It is available on the aquatic nuisance species section of the uscg website. Also, if you are frequently in and out of port you can report monthly, instead of port by port if you meet certain guidelines.

Check out NVIC 07-04 on the uscg website which gives specific guidance for tugs and barges, including ATB units. Also, if you are frequently in and out of port you can report monthly instead of port by port if you meet certain guidelines.

Thanks, I did check it out and did call the USCG in Washington,Was told to check the company Safety Managment System it should state weather the tug captain or barge is responsable for submiting report, Over all the company is responsable for the report,
Our SMS says the tug captain is in charge of the paper work…WEEEEEEE more paper work!!!
Thanks for your help
oakalley2

Ballast Water Management is contained in 33 CFR part 151 (Subchapter O). 33 CFR 151.2070 (a) states: “The master, owner, operator, agent, or person in charge of a vessel subject to this section must retain a signed copy of this [ballast report] information onboard the vessel for 2 years.” I don’t see anything about tug and barge a/o ATB’s, just the same terminology that the master, owner, operator, agent, or person in charge must make the report, i.e. someone’s gotta do it, they don’t really care who. If the office says it’s you, well then it’s up to you to delegate it to someone else. But, a copy of the report must be on the barge according to the regs.

Oakalley2: Having been in your shoes, The word “Delegate” here comes to mind. The Barge is the ‘Vessel’ that ha to have the ballast report aboard. NOT the towing vessel. The Tankerman is just trying to be lazy. Reading your first post states: You are “pushes1 of 4 manned oil barges” Although you are an ATB you are NOT married to this particular barge. Your company should adjust the Ops plan to reflect that. (although both you and I know how useful the office is about doing things to help us)

Tell the tankerman to do them. Then it’s off your list of things to do.

I have two barges that require me to do 2 ballast reports. Shouldn’t each maned barge be required to submit their own [I][B]Ballast Water Management[/B][/I] report as a manned vessels? Our company has a ATBs with unmand barges the tug has 7 man crew with the 2nd mate in charge of doing ballast reporting.Although you are an ATB you are NOT married to this particular barge. Your company should adjust the Ops plan to reflect that.

I would say that the manned barge is required to submit [B]Ballast water management plan[/B] report themselves and have a records on their own computer that they have submitted the ballast report not the tug that moved them