Australian Navy tow a bomb

At first when I seen the picture I thought it was one of those autonomous boats then I realized it was a bunch of guys blending in with their camo. It can be tricky sometimes.

1 Like

A while back we found a cannon ball while surveying near the civil war wreck of the SS Selma in Galveston Bay. When we reported it, we were told to submerge it in a bucket of water and keep it isolated until it could be picked up by Navy EOD personnel. It’s not clear to me how a cannon ball that had been submerged for almost 150 years could present an explosion hazard unless submerged in water. The only explanation I got was that the powder charge would be unstable but I still don’t see how it could have gone off without it being impacted. I’m not advocating that it should not have been removed, somebody could have hit it with a boat or dragged in up in a net. I’m just curious about the instability issue of old (black?) powder.

The Malaysian Navy use this camo to make sure they cannot be seen at sea:

The Malaysian Fire Brigade have camo to make sure they blend in with the fire:

In Malaysia even government agencies, like enforcement agencies of city council, are required to wear camouflage uniforms:

Not sure what they are supposed to blend in with, but Malaysia Boleh.

1 Like

Ever since they came up with it I’ve wondered about the navy’s intent with the blueberry camo. Why design a pattern which would make it harder to visually detect a MOB?

1 Like

Yes of course. Sembawang till midnight then taxi races to Bugis St. where the various bar owners were set up and hawked for your custom. Near the concrete toilet block was good as shown in the video. The transvestite Beanie Boys were mostly gorgeous looking.

In Bugis St one night we had half a dozen navies prior to a big exercise. Several thousand drunk sailors assembled in national groups is always entertaining and profitable for the traders. Sadly all gone now. I visited recently with my wife and it’s just another covered market.

Thanks for finding that video. I can now show my wife … who won’t appreciate the sophistication of these rituals.

I’m sure your wife was very disappointed at missing drunk flaming arse holes.
One would think you could find something slightly more uplifting for her to enjoy :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

My wife is well aware of my wilder days. She’s broad minded enough to know, but not quite enough to laugh. Naturally, as an officer, I would never be dancing as shown. But I merely respond to a topic that brings back fond memories of the antics of sailors ashore in more uninhibited times. The wowsers running navies today haven’t got a clue what lets off sailors’ steam so they are faced with more difficult problems as a result.

My wife and I have visited Singapore and HongKong on a number of occasions and apart from mumbling about it being all different and I now need a map I refrain from commenting on earlier visits.
A friend of mine was ill advised and took his wife down a street he should’ve have in Pattaya. The door of a bar swung open and revealed a ping pong ball in a play that was never intended by the manufacturer.
He laughed and had to endure a frosty reception for a number of days.

2 Likes

The last place I saw my foreskin was the Shenton Nursing Home in Singapore.
The company persuaded the insurers that it was an ‘Industrial Accident’ so they paid up for it, bless 'em.
I think it was Malagasy, or possibly Kaohsiung, that finally put paid to it.