Are Articles required for Tugs/ATBs?

The articles are required deep-sea. There is a $150 fine for noncompliance. My understanding is that the related laws are in effect regardless if they are signed or not. The purpose of having the crew sign articles is so they can see and agree to the wages. On a union ship this is covered by the contract. The wages are posted on board.

The articles are signed by the crew, just not in a timely manner and sometimes not every last crew member. They would not withstand close scrutiny but I’ve never had anyone ask or look.

The CG will fine a ship for errors in the ENOAD however. In fact ships being delayed 24 hrs for noncompliance is not unheard of. Same for speeding in Right Whale zone, etc. Or try missing something on payroll. Or in the Oil Record Book,. Etc.

I don’t know how many ships are 100% on every regulation, not many I suspect. It’s a matter of judgement as to where to spend time and effort for a smooth voyage.

In any case it seems to me it’s the captains and crews of the ATBs that should be brushing up on this stuff.