Is a Towing endorsement needed?

If a towing vessel is underway without a tow is a towing endorsement still required?

don’t believe so it’s just a power driven vessel

Yes you need one . U cant run a towing vessel without a towing endorsement.

The COI says uninspected towing vessel so yes you do.

[QUOTE=Tugted;162239]The COI says uninspected towing vessel so yes you do.[/QUOTE]

An uninspected towing vessel with a COI?

Fixed that for you

Just looked it up hmm guess you do for some reason…must be in case you need to do something in a emergency so that you are properly manned

[QUOTE=Tcaptain;162230]If a towing vessel is underway without a tow is a towing endorsement still required?[/QUOTE]

Yes. …

1 Like

There classed as towing vessels. So you need a towing endorsement.

[QUOTE=NYBoatman;162254]There classed as towing vessels. So you need a towing endorsement.[/QUOTE]

but how is a vessel “classed” as a tug anyway? A Certificate of Documentation doesn’t say tug on it. There is no COI (yet) for tugs so what makes any vessel a tug in the eyes of the USCG? The ORCA has a winch and is capable to tow another vessel but it isn’t a towing vessel unless I have another vessel in tow at which point I would have to display shapes and lights of a towing vessel and would need an endorsement to tow since it is over 26’ but not until that point. Until then, I am an uninspected motor vessel under 300tons.

Somebody please site chapter and verse from 46CFR or 46USC or the USCG Marine Safety Manual what constitutes a “towing vessel”

33 CFR 164.70 http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title33-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title33-vol2-sec164-72.pdf

Im going to look thru the tugs paperwork once were tied up.

but what is “intending”? How is moving a vessel without a tow “intending” to do anything but just move it? I say BULLSHIT on needing an endorsement to simply move a tug light from one dock to the other!

Towing vessel means a commercial vessel engaged in or intending to engage in pulling, pushing or hauling alongside, or any combination of pulling, pushing, or hauling alongside.

I believe at that point you only need an Assistance towing endorsement. Not a full master of towing. Since the ORCA is not registered as a towing vessel. I also believe this is the only endorsement required by companies like “Seatow”

The tonnage certificate has a vessel type column, and in the column it says Towing Vessel.

[QUOTE=PR-9;162267]I believe at that point you only need an Assistance towing endorsement. Not a full master of towing. Since the ORCA is not registered as a towing vessel. I also believe this is the only endorsement required by companies like “Seatow”[/QUOTE]

what on earth do you mean by “registered” as a towing vessel? WHERE?

When you apply for a COD, you have to specify vessel service; towing vessel is one of those options.

I’d say its a towing vessel unless you have it inspected as another type of vessel; if its not a commercial vessel though it looks like it cannot be considered a towing vessel.

Towing vessel means a commercial vessel engaged in or intending to engage in pulling, pushing or hauling alongside, or any combination of pulling, pushing, or hauling alongside.

Hypothetically, Even if not towing, its still a commercial vessel and you’d still need a license with proper tonnage, right? Evem pleasure vessels over 300 tons need a licensed crew IIRC?

That’s how the USCG refers to an UTV over 5 net tons. For their uninspected towing vessel examination.

See page two under registration:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/TVNCOE/documents/toolbag/UTV_Exam_Form.pdf

Also under Q and A on the USCG.mil webpage
See under credentials, documents, and records:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/FAQS.asp

well I still say that to shift a tug light from a dock to a dock without a tow would not require towing endorsements. If there was a reportable marine incident it might come out that the operator did not have an endorsement but I believe that it could be argued that the operators were ok for the move as long as there was no “intention” to make up a tow in the process. It would be up to the USCG whether to take action on that lack.

btw, I have my towing endorsement so this is only an academic argument for me. I can take any vessel I want in tow with the ORCA. I have heard that the Navy is sending another carrier from Bremerton to Brownsville soon.

Master — Every UTV of at least 8 meters (at least 26 feet) or more in length must be under the command of a master of towing vessels, or a mariner licensed as master of inspected, self-propelled vessels greater than 200 gross register tons (GRT) holding either a completed Towing Officer’s Assessment Record (TOAR), bearing the signature of a Designated Examiner and stating that the Examiner found the candidate proficient; or a license endorsed for towing vessels. 46 CFR 15.805(a)

Maybe you could hire me as second captain should you win the contract? No shit sandwiches, just ambrosia