[ul]
[li]Celestial Navigation: April 6-15[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]OUPV: April 6-12[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Upgrade to Master 100 Ton: April 13-15[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]Upgrade to Master 200 Ton: April 16-18[/li][/ul]

Call us at 850-387-1829 or visit www.mitnavschool.com to see course details and to register online. mylan@mitnavschool.com

Get out here with your advertisement!

Wouldn’t mind it if it offered [B]any[/B] of the gap closing courses. Someone needs to advertise for those.

This announcement of the scheduled courses at a new school is helpful, and not doing any harm.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;158949]This announcement of the scheduled courses at a new school is helpful, and not doing any harm.[/QUOTE]

Except perhaps to gCaptain, and any of this school’s competitors who have paid for ads here. It is clearly an ad. Shouldn’t they provide compensation to gCaptain for it?

This announcement was de minimus.

When this apparently “new” or “reorganized” school that I’ve never heard of before, gets off the ground, hopefully they will buy an ad. Certainly, I would not want to see a continuing unpaid advertising campaign in the forum. Put another way, if somebody walks by my dumpster and throws in the wrapper off the granola bar they are eating, I don’t care, but when they start throwing bags of their household of trash in my dumpster, that becomes a problem.

Apparently, MPT is the only school that actually runs an ad on gcaptain. At least its the only one I notice.

Where’s the line drawn on advertisement posts? Do we say it’s fine if it’s just one time? Five times? Ten times?

Now that I think of it, are we sure that MIT didn’t provide gCaptain some compensation? Who knows, maybe part of gCaptain’s advertising scheme allows for it. Admittedly not likely, but who knows? If it were me I might htink about allowing some of these outfits to post on gCaptain for a fee, maybe in a dedicated subforum and under strict rules.

How about if MIT offered a discount based on the ad? Mention “I saw this on gCaptain” and get 5% off tuition? Would anyone feel better then?

Anyway, just some philosophical questions to think about. By the by I’ve seen ads on gCaptain in the past for the STAR Center and MITAGS.

Where’s the line drawn on advertisement posts? Do we say it’s fine if it’s just one time? Five times? Ten times?

You can only self promote your business endlessly if your a bread and breakfast.

The bed and breakfast is owned and operated by a member of this community who has helped a lot of mariners who have made their way to South Louisiana in search of employment. Myself included.

There are givers and takers in this world. Ms. Claudette has proven to be a giver.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;159023]The bed and breakfast is owned and operated by a member of this community who has helped a lot of mariners who have made their way to South Louisiana in search of employment. Myself included.

There are givers and takers in this world. Ms. Claudette has proven to be a giver.[/QUOTE]

True, and she actually posts stuff that is relating to the topic and helpful. She actually posts good information and tidbits on here, not just spam email from a brand new member with 2 posts which are just advertisements. She actually makes a comment or mentions an online article of interest and just briefly mentions her business that some of us (not me, BTW) have actually stayed at!

Where’s the hotel owner from the PNW, NE or California?? Maybe they could offer some good mariner based info

While it is a very fine line, what the last two guys said I think sums it up. Ms. Claudette seems to have quite a bit of job lead info–she seems to do pretty well helping mariners get work. A school like MIT may be helpful in its way, but they really exist to take your money for a class, and most likely do nothing in terms of job placement.

But really, it’s up to the gCaptain ruling cabal to determine what’s okay.

[QUOTE=bcoogan23;159024] Where’s the hotel owner from the PNW, NE or California?? Maybe they could offer some good mariner based info[/QUOTE]

You won’t find such a hotel anywhere else. At most companies (outside of the Gulf), you generally cannot just fly into town, stay at a hotel,and go “knocking on doors” Many companies won’t even let you in. Many will just take your resume, and say “don’t call us, we’ll call you.” Some will offer to make an appointment for you to speak with someone (probably a low level HR staffer next week). Most of the world runs on want ads, networking, resumes, emails and follow up phone calls.

There is always a possibility of showing up at the right place, at the right time, with the right credentials.