Applying to admission at the maritime academies

[QUOTE=brjones;79534]So because there are as many steam ships anymore you recommend going deck? Come on man. Whole point of being and engineer is being able to adapt with the latest technology…lol

To the OP you wont know until you apply. I went to CA at age 25 and they did not care about my previous grades or SAT scores. Nowadays CA has exploded tremendously and have started turning people away but that does not mean that they wont accept your GPA. CA was a place where people went who could not get into Berkley. I recommend applying everywhere including GLMA and Texas. Like already said just get into school and get the license. We all have gone to different schools but once you graduate they dont care where you came from as long as you hold the license. Also go deck or engine depending on what you like to do.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he’s sayin’ that with mediocre academic qualifications, an engineering degree (calculus, physics, thermodynamics) might not be the best choice…

Apparently GLMA starts poppin out decisions in September! Good thing I started my application May 31

[QUOTE=jshrz;79759]More then satisfied! I just wish the applications would open sooner![/QUOTE]

I’m positive I speak for all of us …We wish you the very best of luck.

You are on your own now - like all my shipmates 50 years ago - keep us advise.

[QUOTE=Archimedes;79771]Maybe he’s sayin’ that with mediocre academic qualifications, an engineering degree (calculus, physics, thermodynamics) might not be the best choice…[/QUOTE]

Well, tell me how thermo, calculus, or physics was of any help when I had to pull a boiler tube.

Don’t drink the kool aid. If you want to be a leader then get involved with sports, or at a place like Maine get involved with weekend sailing trips. Making sure little Johnny washed his socks and bleached his asshole won’t.

I am involved with three sports, and I am also an elected regional officer for the boy scouts.proving to admissions I am a leader is the least of my current concerns.

Regional officer for the boy scouts. This guy is captain material.

I posted no such thing.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;80032]I posted no such thing.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to the “elderly gentleman” thingy - making a joke like we use to do aboard ship - sorry if your toes hurt.

I’m also not sure where you got elderly. I’m not c.captain…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;80043]I’m also not sure where you got elderly. I’m not c.captain…[/QUOTE]

No - doubtful c.captain rose-up out of ashes and took off like the great bird of paradise - but I may be wrong about this

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;79596]I posted those words in humor. Should have added a smiley. Your Dad and I might know each other, we followed the same paths. I found the Diesel Course at Calhoon excellent, perhaps you, like your Dad and me, also attended. Your Dad may have mentioned, there has been a profound change in the US Merchant Marine, or what’s left of it. Back in my day and, yes, in your father’s, it was more of a family aboard ship. Most were permanent, we knew each other, we had cook-offs on the fan tail on all returning legs of foreign voyages, beer was allowed, we enjoyed our work and our ship mates (yes, there was always a pain in the ass in the crew but not that many), and our time off in ports were a delight. All that is gone. It will not be long before ships with unattended engine rooms have only two or three engineers whose only duty is to clean filters, fuel-n-water separators, and such stuff. Therefore, if I was an 18 year old today and I really wanted a life at sea I would go Deck. There is no going back to what it once was. Yes, the steamers are gone and so are the engineers who worked them. As I look back I’m pleased and proud I was one. I can perceive you are also proud of your work or you would have not advanced to First (we use to call each other by out positions: third, second, first, chief). You’ll be Chief shortly, I am happy to communicate with a working marine engineer. My very best to you, now meet me down at the Saloon, I’ve got some sea stories to tell ya.[/QUOTE]
Yeah I figured it was tongue and cheek…lol
I actually really like sailing with some of the old timers. Even though I sail as First, I still learn a lot from some of the veteran seconds and thirds. Hell I still learn a lot from the old timer Jr’s and oilers
I can see what you are saying. If my number one priority was to be on the ocean and the job I did was second priority then yeah maybe deck is the answer. The trend I see in the engine department is more work with less manpower. And of course the mountain of paperwork and regulations.

OP like it has been said just get into any school. Once you are out and start working the academy you graduate from doesn’t really matter. I bet every ship you go on will have at least 3 different academy officers on it. If I were you I would go cheap. If you go to a state school you will be paying out of state tuition. That would be something I would consider.

Any alumni or current students from Mass Maritime? How are admissions/acceptance rates there?

[QUOTE=brjones;80071]Yeah I figured it was tongue and cheek…lol
I actually really like sailing with some of the old timers. Even though I sail as First, I still learn a lot from some of the veteran seconds and thirds. Hell I still learn a lot from the old timer Jr’s and oilers
I can see what you are saying. If my number one priority was to be on the ocean and the job I did was second priority then yeah maybe deck is the answer. The trend I see in the engine department is more work with less manpower. And of course the mountain of paperwork and regulations.

OP like it has been said just get into any school. Once you are out and start working the academy you graduate from doesn’t really matter. I bet every ship you go on will have at least 3 different academy officers on it. If I were you I would go cheap. If you go to a state school you will be paying out of state tuition. That would be something I would consider.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know. At this point after this thread it boils down to, Who accepts me, and the campus

Well everyone here is an update.

I have been accepted into GLMA! I am quite excited about this!

Congrats, Are you applying to others or is this the one?

I also plan on applying to mass and Maine maritime

Congrats ! ! !

Make sure you visit each school before you decide which one. This is a big difference in living and social conditions, and in the basic culture of the schools and the communities where they are located. Pick the one that is the best fit for you; you’ll be living there for four years.

Excellent advice. I am a second year student at one of the 3 Northeast State Academys. A visit was critical in my decision making.

My impresstions:

Suny - City setting, Nice campus - good opportunity for internships around NY Harbor. Disorganized staff, ship in disrepair. Regiment optional.
Mass - Suburban setting.Very organized administration, great tour. Impressive new library with a $2 million deck simulator. Ship just renovated. Regiment required.
Maine - Rural Setting. The best option for engineering, Very friendly staff and students. Ship is on par with Mass. Nice facilities. Regiment optional.

To receive your license the regiment is required, no way around it. To get a normal degree and no license, it is an option.