Applying to admission at the maritime academies

If you’ve got a heartbeat, you’ll get into Maine*. One good thing is that because your state does not have a maritime academy, you’re able to enroll at any academy and pay in state tuition.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;79659]SUNY accepts 45%[/QUOTE]

Yes but the other 55% have to be told when to breathe.

Don’t just limit yourself to one school … Try to figure out what you want to major in and see what school is best/ better for that.
If you need financial aid, look into what school will help you out the best…Then weight out where you want to spend 4-5 years of your life

Thanks for the good laugh!

Yeah that’s what I was thinking and so far I have ruled out GLMA. From what I have read and what the admissions officer told me, they really have no regiment in their corps of cadets which is something that is a must for me.

And to the older gentlemen who asked if spending my life at sea is what I want, sorry I didn’t get the quote in I am typing on my iPad, I can’t imagine doing anything more fulfilling in my life time.

That depends on the state you are from. Some states have a program like that, some don’t. Maine only officially had agreements with new england and it is half way between in state and out of state.

I suggest that you apply to all six state schools. The regiments are for the most part not too relevant. GLMA and CMA do not waste much time on regiments. It sounds like Texas may be overly focused on its regiment. You are close to GMLA so you should go for a visit. You should visit both MMAs and SUNY too. All of the schools are adequate. Go to the one that you think you will enjoy the most for four years.

Like the admissions consultant said, work on your math. Go to a private after school math program for extra help if necessary. You should at least be ready to take pre-calc when you start at the academy. If you can take calc in high school that would be best. If you can afford it, you might want to hire that consultant.

[QUOTE=jshrz;79694]And to the older gentlemen who asked if spending my life at sea is what I want[/QUOTE]

You must be talking about Capt Phoenix. :smiley:

[QUOTE=tugsailor;79700]All of the schools are adequate. Go to the one that you think you will enjoy the most for four years.[/QUOTE]

Excellent advise

Should you pick Maine a short course in speaking Maineez might prove helpful. I sailed with so many graduates from Maine I’m almost fluent - Ay’Ep

:wink:

Currently I’m in pre calc and ap statistics.

The regimental activities don’t have one cunt suck to do with working on commercial vessels. They should be a minor annoyance and not something that is important to you. If you want to wear a uniform and act important, go to kp

The regiment has more to offer than a uniform. Also I would go to Kings Point but obviously since I am stressing out about getting into state academies an federal academy will be no easier.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;79700]If you can afford it, you might want to hire that consultant.[/QUOTE]

You’ve got to be kidding me. Here we are all bitching about why anybody would pay a license consultant and you want this kid to pay a COLLEGE consultant? Hmm I wonder where he’s going to guide him too…Mass Maritime maybe? Wonder why that might be…

If you’re taking pre-calc and AP Stat already your math skills are fine. You should be fine getting into any of the state schools that you choose. At SUNY you won’t quite pay in-state but some sort of region tuition which is a bit more than in-state but not quite out of state. Talk to your guidance counselor at your high school. Don’t waste your time with an ‘admissions consultant.’ Or if you do, hire me as your resume consultant. I wrote one of those once I can probably help.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;79721]The regimental activities don’t have one cunt suck to do with working on commercial vessels. They should be a minor annoyance and not something that is important to you. If you want to wear a uniform and act important, go to kp[/QUOTE]

Agreed !!!
Notice, jshrz, I recommended Maine Maritime Academy, not Kings Point, and I’m a KP graduate.

Ha ha so so true!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;79732]Agreed !!!
Notice, jshrz, I recommended Maine Maritime Academy, not Kings Point, and I’m a KP graduate.[/QUOTE]

Maine is definitely a possibility! Just out of curiosity, what draws you to MMA even though your a KP alumni?

I’ve sailed with some awesome Maine and cal grads. Everything I hear about those schools sounds like my kind of thing. If you want to wear a uniform and play with toy guns (maybe even a sword if you are lucky senior year) I’d go to KP. Truth is, you’ll get basically the same education no matter where you go. If you can afford to, visit the academies that interest you. If you play any sports, contact the coaches and try to visit through them. I think you will get a better idea of real student life if you go visit via the athletic department as opposed to through the admissions department.

Good luck, you have an exciting road ahead of you. If I could go back and do it all again, I wouldn’t change a thing. My decision to go to Kings Point was one of the best I’ve ever made.

[QUOTE=jshrz;79739]Maine is definitely a possibility! Just out of curiosity, what draws you to MMA even though your a KP alumni?[/QUOTE]

I’ve sailed with lots of MMA graduates, both deck and engine, with very few exceptions they were excellent at their work and fine shipmates, always fun to be around.
For the rest of the story, the part about KP, you only need to check-out some gCaptain threads.
Tugsailor posted some salient words: " All of the schools are adequate. Go to the one that you think you will enjoy the most for four years."

[QUOTE=Surfrider;79746]I’ve sailed with some awesome Maine and cal grads. Everything I hear about those schools sounds like my kind of thing. If you want to wear a uniform and play with toy guns (maybe even a sword if you are lucky senior year) I’d go to KP. Truth is, you’ll get basically the same education no matter where you go. If you can afford to, visit the academies that interest you. If you play any sports, contact the coaches and try to visit through them. I think you will get a better idea of real student life if you go visit via the athletic department as opposed to through the admissions department.

Good luck, you have an exciting road ahead of you. If I could go back and do it all again, I wouldn’t change a thing. My decision to go to Kings Point was one of the best I’ve ever made.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Surfrider

Well, jshrz, are you pleased with our replies? It’s up to you to ruminate on these posts and make a decision of what is best for you. As a great forum should be we have members on gCaptain with opposite opinions who are willing to share their thoughts with you.

More then satisfied! I just wish the applications would open sooner!