Applying to admission at the maritime academies

Well I guess we know where you go. Since I’m a SUNY alum I have to stick up for my alma mater. The ship is not in disrepair, it’s old. 60 years old. They’re doing a good job of keeping it running as well as it does. As Ryan says, no matter where you go to school, the regiment is required if you want a license. Most of us couldn’t understand what the “non-reg” were even doing there. As for Maine, it’s in the middle of nowhere. Something to think about. I’m originally from Connecticut, and I didn’t even consider it because it was a 9 hour drive from my house. I think it’s something like 3 hours to Bangor, which is the closest airport.

Yeah it is a huge decision. I visited GLMA and I liked the facilities and Traverse City is a huge tourist town surrounded by beautiful area. I do prefer the large city setting however I wouldn’t substitute that for the ability to go home every couple of weeks without flying!

That’s right. If you pursue Deck or Engine License track - regiment is required no matter where you go. I should have been more clear on that.

When I was visiting back 2010, the SUNY ship was having issues.

I’m still reluctant to reveal which school I ended up at. I’ve always been too outspoken for my own good. The last thing I need is someone in authority taking exception to something I write on gCaptain and tracing it back to me personally.

Seeing how you are from Toledo and you want the ability to get home ocassionally without flying, I think your only East Coast options are SUNY & KP.

I have no dog in this fight as I didn’t go to any of those schools, but sometimes a ship that is in disrepair can be some of the best training available. One of my first ships on my license was a piece of shit, but I learned more in that 90 days than the 4 years at school.

No do I, but I couldn’t agree more. Maintaining and operating an old ship is some of the best experience you can get. It will also make you appreciate many of the aspects of being on a newer ship. Still, even the older ships will be equipped with newer technology in areas required by law or relevant to proper training (in the case of a training ship).

Maine is 45 minutes from Bangor, and the regiment is optional in the 1600ton mates license track program

I did not go to MMA, but visited the school with my nephew last year.

The main downside to MMA (Maine) is that the women are scarce and the sheep are nervous. If you’re a woman, the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;82572]
The main downside to MMA (Maine) is that the women are scarce and the sheep are nervous. If you’re a woman, the odds are good, but the goods are odd.[/QUOTE]

ROFLOL…OMG…Best laugh of the day. My sides hurt…

Hello everyone I suppose I will post an update.

Well I only applied to two maritime academies: glma and mass. I have been accepted into glma and I missed the early decision deadline because my act scores got delayed. I do not think I will go to glma no matter the result.

I appreciate everyone’s input in this thread!

[QUOTE=jshrz;92141]Hello everyone I suppose I will post an update.

Well I only applied to two maritime academies: glma and mass. I have been accepted into glma and I missed the early decision deadline because my act scores got delayed. I do not think I will go to glma no matter the result.

I appreciate everyone’s input in this thread![/QUOTE]

Why down on GLMA? I have only heard good things about it.

Does this mean your decision is Mass Maritime or nothing? There has to be more to this story…

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;92149]Why down on GLMA? I have only heard good things about it.

Does this mean your decision is Mass Maritime or nothing? There has to be more to this story…[/QUOTE]

Well I did fairly bad on my ACT Math score, despite my other scores being around 28. I was told that I may need to attend summer courses at their community college which I simply cannot due because of previous commitments. I mean its not like I dont perform well in school, in graduating with 6 math credits, i perform well in the class room just not on the test for some reason.

And no it is not Mass or nothing. I have been accepted to a couple other big state schools which would be a fall back if I were to not receive an acceptance to mass maritime.

Try the SATs instead, east coast schools prefer them.

Maritime license tracks require a healthy dose of math. Algebra/Trig, Applied Calc, and physics - You may struggle a bit. Perhaps you’ll have to repeat a class or 2. Maybe it will take 5 years to graduate. So what? Bust your ass at school and you will have a good career for life.

Oh, FYI - State Maritime academys actually like to have students from out of State. It promotes an image of national reputation. I believe your chances are better than you think.

[QUOTE=jshrz;92165] I was told that I may need to attend summer courses at their community college which I simply cannot due because of previous commitments.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you for one that GLMA has the lowest math standards. If they tell you you need to take summer classes to get ready for Pre Calc Algebra and Pre Calc Trig, and an entry level Physics course you are going to have put in some serious studying at Mass Maritime with full blown Calc classes and a real University level math driven physics class.

Having gone to a state university and taken calc based physics and many math classes from pre calc algebra through the Calc sequence and stats, The level of math required is extremely low. Especially for the Engineers at GLMA in my honest opinion. Don’t get me wrong I like going to school at GLMA but Engineers should be, engineers that understand the theory, principles and math that are used to design and build the equipment& systems they work on.

Anyways what has Mass said about your ACT scores?

[QUOTE=GLMASailor;92223]

Anyways what has Mass said about your ACT scores?[/QUOTE]

I have not received a decision from them. If Mass does not accept me then I will be attending the University of Arizona and will potentially reapply to mass the next year.

Who is paying for your college? Seems that you are all over the map and will be paying a much higher out of state tuition no matter where you go. Why not go to a community college in the state where you want to attend a university? After one year residency, you can start paying the lesser fees.

[QUOTE=brjones;92247]Who is paying for your college? Seems that you are all over the map and will be paying a much higher out of state tuition no matter where you go. Why not go to a community college in the state where you want to attend a university? After one year residency, you can start paying the lesser fees.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. If you REALLY want maritime, you can do it.

Nothing wrong with sharpening up your math skills at a Community College, Retake the ACT/SAT and reapply. This actually is smarter than having to repeat classes at MMA on the 5 year plan. Why go to Arizona?

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;92248]I was thinking the same thing. If you REALLY want maritime, you can do it.

Nothing wrong with sharpening up your math skills at a Community College, Retake the ACT/SAT and reapply. This actually is smarter than having to repeat classes at MMA on the 5 year plan. Why go to Arizona?[/QUOTE]

I have not failed any math classes so I would see no reason why I would have to repeat any of them. I chose Arizona as my fall back because a good majority of my family resides there. I will also be paying for a majority of my tuition except for room and board which my parents will cover. They will not support me, financially, if I were to go to a community college.

[QUOTE=jshrz;92255]I have not failed any math classes so I would see no reason why I would have to repeat any of them. I chose Arizona as my fall back because a good majority of my family resides there. I will also be paying for a majority of my tuition except for room and board which my parents will cover. They will not support me, financially, if I were to go to a community college.[/QUOTE]
Even if you went one year on your own at a community college, you would save thousands of dollars by paying instate tuition once you establish residency. Out of state is more than double.