Anyone sit for Chmate/Master upgrade lately?

Anyone have trouble with the chart problem answers being wrong?

Thanks…

For example–

Chart Plot questions NP02598–NP02606, Chart 13205 Block Island sound. The first question gives a posit and then asks for an ETA off Buoy “MP”. 25.2-ish nm @ 9 kt = 2 hr 18 minutes for an ETA of 2118. Answers are all for after 2300.

A couple questions later it gives you a running fix and then asks for your position. The ‘right’ answer doesn’t fit the brgs listed.

There are troubles with a few other chart plots as well…does anyone know if they’ve corrected these issues? Has anyone had to challenge the test?

I sit in two weeks…

[QUOTE=ordinaryseawomn;61380]For example–

Chart Plot questions NP02598–NP02606, Chart 13205 Block Island sound. The first question gives a posit and then asks for an ETA off Buoy “MP”. 25.2-ish nm @ 9 kt = 2 hr 18 minutes for an ETA of 2118. Answers are all for after 2300.

A couple questions later it gives you a running fix and then asks for your position. The ‘right’ answer doesn’t fit the brgs listed.

There are troubles with a few other chart plots as well…does anyone know if they’ve corrected these issues? Has anyone had to challenge the test?

I sit in two weeks…[/QUOTE]
Could you post the first question in it’s entirety? For your ETA of 2118 did you figure for current?

Hey–thanks for the response–sure–here’s the first qustion:

"On 7 September you are approaching Block Island Sound from sea. Your vessel has a draft of 20 feet. Equipment on board your vessel includes gyrocompass, magnetic compass, depth finder and radar.

At 1830 your position is LAT 40-42.5 N, LONG 72-07.1 W. You are on course 046T, and making turns for 9 knots. At what time will your vessel be abeam of Buoy “MP”?

A) 2210
B) 2314
C) 2318 Listed as the “right” answer
D) 2322"

Laying everything out, the distance to go is 25.2-ish nm. At 9 kts that’s about 2 hours 48 minutes–current doesn’t appear to be a factor. I’ve done the test a couple of times each time double checking the posit, etc with the same results. I think it’s a typo…but man, not really looking forward to the possibility of having to challenge a test.
Working through other tests I’ve come across 2 or 3 other similar troubles and was wondering if anyone has experienced this in the test room…

Thanks again and take care!

What was your position and time when bouy MP was abeam? What was range and bearing to “MP”?

And why do you think current isn’t a factor?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;61384]What was your position and time when bouy MP was abeam? What was range and bearing to “MP”?[/QUOTE]

Bng 316T/Rng 2.4nm

Posit:
41-0.1N
71-43.43-ish

Current wasn’t mentioned as a factor in the body of the question…no way, no how.

So has anybody challenged a question on a CG test? How’d that work out for you?

Just know the right answer and put that one down. I challenged a question on a Near Coastal test, but since I got a 100 (I put the “right” answer instead of the correct one), I was told I couldn’t protest it and the guy threw my sheet away.

Well it’s been 10 years since I was at an REC testing on this, but I do remember being given a tide and current book along with the chart. The question specifies a time and place. Current should be a factor.

No. Unless question mentions it, you don’t have to dig the book out and figure out the current. And anyway, I think the charts are from 1981 and the tide/current book is from 1983 aren’t they?

[QUOTE=New3M;61406]No. Unless question mentions it, you don’t have to dig the book out and figure out the current. And anyway, I think the charts are from 1981 and the tide/current book is from 1983 aren’t they?[/QUOTE]

Just checked the pubs and yes, the charts are from 1981 and the T/C pub is from 1983. Whew, dodged a bullet on that one! I’m being pretty good about calculations/working everything out, but to be honest I started feeling a little queasy at the prospect of factoring tidal currents into every T/S/D question embedded in the Chart Plots.

New3M–thanks that’s what I’m after…I’m reviewing/writing up all the chart probs so that I can review the “most right” answers before I sit. The thing is, now the Chart Plot (management level) has only 9 questions now. Used to be you could take it, miss one and still score the 90% required to pass. Now miss one and you’ll get 88%. Just checked the CG website and it’s still showing 10 questions/90% to pass. I’ll call tomorrow to get the scoop.

I swear it’s like they’re trying to get us to admit that 2+2=5!

Thanks again for the help!

Cool, it’s been a decade since I tested, glad to hear my memory is failing me.

[QUOTE=ordinaryseawomn;61408]Just checked the pubs and yes, the charts are from 1981 and the T/C pub is from 1983. Whew, dodged a bullet on that one! I’m being pretty good about calculations/working everything out, but to be honest I started feeling a little queasy at the prospect of factoring tidal currents into every T/S/D question embedded in the Chart Plots.

New3M–thanks that’s what I’m after…I’m reviewing/writing up all the chart probs so that I can review the “most right” answers before I sit. The thing is, now the Chart Plot (management level) has only 9 questions now. Used to be you could take it, miss one and still score the 90% required to pass. Now miss one and you’ll get 88%. Just checked the CG website and it’s still showing 10 questions/90% to pass. I’ll call tomorrow to get the scoop.

I swear it’s like they’re trying to get us to admit that 2+2=5!

Thanks again for the help![/QUOTE]

Yea it’s not worth trying to prove them wrong. I tried to plead my case to the guy, because I had the same question on the test the first time (which I failed by 1 question), and he wouldn’t have anything to do with it. I knew the right answer wasn’t correct in their eyes, so I just put down the CG answer and went on my way.

The latest, for anyone who cares:

Called Portland and talked to Ed, the examiner. According to him, the Chart plot is a 10 question test. According to all the study guides it’s 9 questions.

I dont’ mean to get wrapped around the axle about this, but I have to wonder…did the test change? Am I studying the right ones?

I guess I’ll know in two weeks…

Thanks for the comments–

Sail safe!

To warn you, some of the tests have new question banks (I heard rules is one) and the new questions are not publicly available so it is not possible to practice the actual questions. You may get lucky and still have the old questions for most of your tests but know the subject and be prepared to see new questions.

I took this test back in Oct there are new rules questions but nothing tricky. I had a block island sound exam for my chart plot and the 4 other people I know that took this test also had Block island sound.

yes some of the chart plots have some errors, state your case in a protest if you fail because of a error in the test.

Good Luck!

it is a 10 question test

9 are part of the chart plot
1 is usually a random nav general or a nav problem question

Regarding your questions about errors with chart plot, I tested in November and for study material I used Lapware. All tests available on Lapware are nine questions. From talking to others who had tested previously they all said the tenth question was a nav. general type problem. Mine was a luminous vs geographic range problem and then the nine questions verbatim for Chesapeake exactly as they were in the practice test from Lapware. If time allows do all the chart plots Lapware has available. I did and walked in totally prepared. If I remember it was a total of twenty or maybe twenty five tests. Now regarding the errors with the questions I encountered several. I worked them down every way I could imagine. Specifically the one above if you change all the 23’s to 21’s you have the correct answer bank. Some others I ran into had bearings that were 180 deg off. Add 180 deg and everything works out and then the answer appears in the choices. After working them all down I was able to go test and take chart plot in about an hour and pass. Being honest I did miss one because of a transposing error between my notes and the answer sheet. Lesson learned triple check your answers!! Good luck.