Anyone know how i

anyone know a company will hire AB without there navigation watch? I’m with a company that keep putting me on a crew boat an I cant get my time in on a crew boat.

All marine employers are currently in a hiring freeze. You should probably stay put on the crew boat.

Had 1 guy at my B&B this past week that was offered an AB job with Seacor and HOS.
Don’t know if these 2 companies require RFPNW.
I know ECO does.
Hope this helps.

Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the BAyou B&B
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985)537-6773

HOS requires it. I’d imagine all do. Might be worth getting on as OS and doing the assesment work for the rating. Shouldn’t take long if you can get a capt or mate to do it.

What’s holding you up on getting it? Do you have the assessments signed off?

Any thoughts as to what the hiring freeze means? No new jobs for a while?

You’re caught in a little puddle here.

You need time on vessels over 200 gt on an ocean voyage to get signed off. Or you can stay working where you are and pay a couple grand to take the simple (and way overpriced) sign off courses.

Quality Maritime is doing the RFPNW assessment course for $695

[QUOTE=Flyer69;77282]Quality Maritime is doing the RFPNW assessment course for $695[/QUOTE]

His course only gives you a year to get the assessments completed aboard ship. George’s course restricts you to lookout duties only, so you still have to get the assessments signed off on. You have to go somewhee that has a full mission simulator otherwise.

[QUOTE=cappy208;77280]You’re caught in a little puddle here.

You need time on vessels over 200 gt on an ocean voyage to get signed off. Or you can stay working where you are and pay a couple grand to take the simple (and way overpriced) sign off courses.[/QUOTE]

200 GT or 200 GRT??? Big difference.

Just looked at the check list. 200 GRT or 500 GT, which ever is greater for the maneuvering plus the guy signing you off has to be a 500 mater and higher. Not going to find that on a crewboat. Even if you take the simulator course you still have to get on a boat that size for half of the time requirement.

Personally I think the simulator is a waste of money except for the 100 ton masters needing to get signed off so they can upgrade to 500 ton master. If you’re getting RFPNW to get it on your AB it’s a waste because you still have to do time on a vessel of appropriate tonnage, and while you’re there you do the assessments and save your self the $500+ that the class cost.

Try C&G, L&M Botruc, Aries Marine, Sea Support, Freedom Marine. Any place that has boats under 300 GRT. As long as it’s under 300 GRT you are not required to have RFPNW, but do have to have AB’s.

All you need now to get RFPNW is 180 days of deck service and the assessments signed off. I think the assessments still have to be done on a vessel over 100 GRT. I turned mine in again after being denied and had it in 9 days without giving them anything else.

I can’t get anything sign off while working on the crew boat.

yes I had my AB for two years now

I heard this too

[QUOTE=Swampfox;77283]His course only gives you a year to get the assessments completed aboard ship. George’s course restricts you to lookout duties only, so you still have to get the assessments signed off on. You have to go somewhee that has a full mission simulator otherwise.[/QUOTE]
The $695 course I mentioned is for doing assessments aboard a vessel.

http://www.qualitymaritime.info/Course%20List_2.html#RFPNW_A

Interesting point was brought up. Why do so many companies hold the new hires to HAVE this when they only have vessels that don’t require it!? This is such a waste of time and effort. Even boats that require it on ocean voyages should have a way for non signed off crew to get signed off.

[QUOTE=chile caliente;77297]I heard this too[/QUOTE]

What is the story on this supposed hiring freeze?

Not hiring entry level or AB/QMED. You would have to be a seasoned rating with enough time for a license. You would still probably need a current employee recommendation. Right now HOS needs engineers more than anything.

I can understand how the top companies could have a hiring freeze for AB/QMED, but not the other companies. Most people want to work for the best companies and most want to leave the worst companies. People quit, get promoted, retire, fail drug tests, miss crew change, find better jobs, decide to stay home with mama, and do stupid things that get them fired. They have to be replaced.

I wonder, is the Gulf oil patch slowing down, or at least taking a pause?

Chouest hired me without mine but I got OS pay till I turn in my RPFNW