Anyone have any good leads on getting work on cargo/international type ships?

I am currently a junior engineer on a ship that has been tied up in dry dock for 6 months and I am looking at potentially moving to another company that will allow me to get a lot of sea time.

I was considering Military Sealift Command because I like the idea of international travel, and supporting the military.

I have also thought about container ships/tankers (APL, Maersk, Chevron, etc.). It seems that, for these types of ships, it’s not very easy to get work as an unlicensed crew member. Most of the job openings that I’ve seen have always been for licensed mariners. I have an AB/QMED and am willing to utilize either.

Any suggestions for getting a job on an internationally operating ship?

If you get a Filipino passport and learn Tagalog there are loads of AB jobs on cargo/international type ships.

W[QUOTE=pedersenshawn;163842]I am currently a junior engineer on a ship that has been tied up in dry dock for 6 months and I am looking at potentially moving to another company that will allow me to get a lot of sea time.

I was considering Military Sealift Command because I like the idea of international travel, and supporting the military.

I have also thought about container ships/tankers (APL, Maersk, Chevron, etc.). It seems that, for these types of ships, it’s not very easy to get work as an unlicensed crew member. Most of the job openings that I’ve seen have always been for licensed mariners. I have an AB/QMED and am willing to utilize either.

Any suggestions for getting a job on an internationally operating ship?[/QUOTE]

Aside from MSC there are about 100 or so U.S. flag ships sailing foreign. Almost all are crewed by unions, the SIU, SUP and the MFOW. How long it takes to ship depends on how shipping is.

[QUOTE=follow40;163870]If you get a Filipino passport and learn Tagalog there are loads of AB jobs on cargo/international type ships.[/QUOTE]

Haha, thanks, but I’d like to just speak English.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;163875]W

Aside from MSC there are about 100 or so U.S. flag ships sailing foreign. Almost all are crewed by unions, the SIU, SUP and the MFOW. How long it takes to ship depends on how shipping is.[/QUOTE]

I’m looking for long voyages around the world. Ships that will take me literally around the globe. Would you recommend any of those unions in particular?

[QUOTE=pedersenshawn;163879]
I’m looking for long voyages around the world. Ships that will take me literally around the globe. Would you recommend any of those unions in particular?[/QUOTE]

The SIU has the most ships. Not sure how many go around the world. I’ve been round with a SIU crew a few times. MSC goes to some out of the way places but it depends on the ship.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;163880]The SIU has the most ships. Not sure how many go around the world. I’ve been round with a SIU crew a few times. MSC goes to some out of the way places but it depends on the ship.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Do you know if it is hard to get onto tankers?

[QUOTE=pedersenshawn;163881]Interesting. Do you know if it is hard to get onto tankers?[/QUOTE]

No idea, I’d check at the hall.

[QUOTE=lm1883;163887]M/V Endurance with ARC is on the Wilhelmsen round the world run. They are SIU crewed, but not sure which hall you would get the job.

BTW most, if not all Filipino sailors speak perfect English and are better than most that I would have got from a SIU Hall. Just sayin.[/QUOTE]

Nobody was saying anything negative about Filipino sailors. There is a reason why they are the most preferential nation to hire ABs from on the planet. There are more ABs from the Philippines working at sea than any other country.

Liberty roro’s are also going around the world, meba / siu