Anybody got news on what it is like to work for Maersk these days?

I hope it is much better being an American on a Maersk rig in the GoM now than is was in 2009…

[B]Maersk takes delivery of first of four drillships[/B]

FEBRUARY 24, 2014 — Maersk Drilling today took delivery of its first ultra deepwater drillship, Maersk Viking, from the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in Geoje-Si, South Korea, and the ship Maersk Viking has started its voyage to the U.S. Gulf of Mexico to commence a three year contract with ExxonMobil.

Maersk Drilling is investing $2.6 billion in its four vessel drillship newbuild program at SHI. All are scheduled for delivert this year.

Featuring dual derrick and large subsea work and storage areas, the drillship design allows for efficient well construction and field development activities through offline activities. With their advanced positioning control system, the ships automatically maintain a fixed position in severe weather conditions with waves of up to 11 metres and wind speeds of up to 26 metres per second.

Special attention has been given to safety on board the drillships. Equipped with Multi Machine Control on the drill floor, the high degree of automation ensures safe operation and consistent performance. Higher transit speeds and increased capacity will reduce the overall logistics costs for oil companies.

back then you were a second class citizen being an American working in American waters!

I have a classmate that will be on one of those ships. He seems to love the baby blue thus far!

[QUOTE=c.captain;131441]I hope it is much better being an American on a Maersk rig in the GoM now than is was in 2009…

back then you were a second class citizen being an American working in American waters![/QUOTE]

You still are. Don’t look to be hired at your current position, they offer you the ability to step down one or two slots. All I can say is that we are getting more and more inquiries from Maersk people, they don’t seem to be all that happy these days.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;131521]You still are. Don’t look to be hired at your current position, they offer you the ability to step down one or two slots. All I can say is that we are getting more and more inquiries from Maersk people, they don’t seem to be all that happy these days.[/QUOTE]

what really burned my ass there was that Maersk paid the US withholding for all the foreign nationals on the DEVELOPER while making the Americans onboard pay their own but no difference in pay scales so in the end you were being financially penalized for working in your own country. That to me was the last straw along with the restrictions preventing promotion to senior level positions. UTTER BULLSHIT I SAY!

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;131521]You still are. Don’t look to be hired at your current position, they offer you the ability to step down one or two slots. All I can say is that we are getting more and more inquiries from Maersk people, they don’t seem to be all that happy these days.[/QUOTE]

Actually what is happening is exactly the opposite. Experienced Maersk people coming from other rigs need to step down while [B]Americans are being recruited from other companies and offered a higher position than they previously held[/B]. This is valid for the two first drillships, which will be working on the GoM, the other two still have no contract.

[QUOTE=Margareth;131622]Actually what is happening is exactly the opposite. Experienced Maersk people coming from other rigs need to step down while [B]Americans are being recruited from other companies and offered a higher position than they previously held[/B]. This is valid for the two first drillships, which will be working on the GoM, the other two still have no contract.[/QUOTE]

Not on the Marine Side! And I know this as fact.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;131674]Not on the Marine Side! And I know this as fact.[/QUOTE]

Not that it matters the department but yes, it is happening on the marine side… I know this as a fact.

[QUOTE=Margareth;131777]Not that it matters the department but yes, it is happening on the marine side… I know this as a fact.[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate and put me in my place. Besides the fact that I know a previous Captain who had to step back, myself was offered a position two steps below my current. Both of us are American.

I don´t want to “put you in your place”, I’m just commenting on the fact that[B] many[/B] Americans were offered higher positions on the new drillships, comparing to what they previously held. This does not mean that [B]some[/B] weren’t offered lower positions…
As for the examples you mention, that could be more related to the Maersk organization on board (different from the companies they are coming from - there is no “Captain” position, this is filled by the OIM) as well as the differences between STCW licenses and USCG licenses, reading this forum looks like everybody is a Captain in the US…

[QUOTE=Margareth;131785]I don´t want to “put you in your place”, I’m just commenting on the fact that[B] many[/B] Americans were offered higher positions on the new drillships, comparing to what they previously held. This does not mean that [B]some[/B] weren’t offered lower positions…
As for the examples you mention, that could be more related to the Maersk organization on board (different from the companies they are coming from - there is no “Captain” position, this is filled by the OIM) as well as the differences between STCW licenses and USCG licenses, reading this forum looks like everybody is a Captain in the US…[/QUOTE]

Oh well. Times are changing. I won’t comment on this post, in regards to STCW vs USCG, obviously there is some confusion in your response.

I have very close friend who works in the engine department aboard this Maersk Viking. He was hired on with Maersk Drilling last year. He has nothing but good things to say about the company, the pay, opportunities, and training that he has received.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;131790]Oh well. Times are changing. I won’t comment on this post, in regards to STCW vs USCG, obviously there is some confusion in your response.[/QUOTE]

obviously Margareth is not an American mariner working for Maersk in the GoM and does not speak with direct knowledge. I do hope the posts are correct and that there are higher level positions on the new Maersk drillships available to American mariners. Afterall, we are closer to the action in the GoM and cost Maersk less to hire than Europeans. It only makes financial sense to bring more of us into the action. However this is what I was told by Maersk what would happen when I worked for them 4 years ago but was just lip service from them at the time.

Of course, on the flip side of that is that I did look at Maersk Drilling’s website for GoM positions available and see nothing specifically requiring a US nationality that SDPO which is pretty much the status quo from 2009 so I am doubtful as to the veracity of the claims made.

[QUOTE=c.captain;131796]obviously Margareth is not an American mariner working for Maersk in the GoM and does not speak with direct knowledge. I do hope the posts are correct and that there are higher level positions on the new Maersk drillships available to American mariners. Afterall, we are closer to the action in the GoM and cost Maersk less to hire than Europeans. It only makes financial sense to bring more of us into the action. However this is what I was told by Maersk what would happen when I worked for them 4 years ago but was just lip service from them at the time.

Of course, on the flip side of that is that I did look at Maersk Drilling’s website for GoM positions available and see nothing specifically requiring a US nationality that SDPO which is pretty much the status quo from 2009 so I am doubtful as to the veracity of the claims made.[/QUOTE]

I got that impression too. And I don’t really need to get into the argument of Captain vs Master vs OIM (job titles), when 75% of drilling contractors now hold the Master as the PIC/OIM.