Age discrimination in our industry?

I’m wondering how the more experienced mariners, 50 years old and over, who lost jobs due to the slow economy are faring in their job search. Are you finding age discrimination blocking your path to a good job? Do company hiring agents suddenly become unresponsive after a successful Skype or Job Interview?

What is your experience?

I have 3 guys staying at my B&B this week who are in their late 50’s and mid 60’s that entered this career in just the last 2-3 years.
Two of them are with ECO taking the GMDSS class at the training center in Galliano, both in their late 50’s
The other is with GOL taking the Celestrial navigaton class at LE FLetcher (LAMPI) in Houma and is in his mid 60’s
I haven’t seen any age discrimination in the last 6 years while having mariners stay at my B&B.
Hope this bit of info can enlighten your thoughts.
Remember, I do offer a discounted rate of $60/night for mariners going to school or in search of work in the area.
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
3158 Hwy 308
Raceland, LA
(985)537-6773
FB page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Chateau-On-The-Bayou-Bed-Breakfast-Claudette-L-Pitre/121896531157165

[QUOTE=A Chateau on the Bayou;82618]Remember, I do offer a discounted rate of $60/night for mariners going to school or in search of work in the area.
Claudette L. Pitre
A Chateau on the Bayou B&B
[/QUOTE]

Good for you Ma’am! A quick positive report on what is happening and SELL, SELL, SELL!

Hey everyone has to turn a buck, until she starts sending mass pm’s I say have at.

Perhaps my questions were unclear. I wanted to know about unemployed mariners currently looking for work. Are they finding difficulty getting hired because of their age?

The mariners you describe are already employed and are adding endorsements to their mariners credential.

Nice job on the free “plug” for your boarding house though.

[QUOTE=Lookout;82633]Perhaps my questions were unclear. I wanted to know about unemployed mariners currently looking for work. Are they finding difficulty getting hired because of their age?[/QUOTE]

Well in slow times it certainly can’t help but I’d say physical condition is more of a critical factor than specific age. If you can’t pass the physical then you aren’t going to get the job in the end.

I won’t say it is rampant but there is always the chance a recruiter could say to themselves, “he’s so old that I doubt he could pass our physical” without even seeing you in person.

There’s no shortage of jobs for engineers at present. I’m 59 and still getting pestered to go back to work. A couple of friends have been offered scalp fees for recruiting engineers.

Seems that lately like said above, engineers just need the ticket. I see a lot of companies looking for 1st and Chiefs and it doesn’t sound like they are picky.

Some companies have really gotten carried away with the company physicals with strength and agility tests, which is a form of blatant age discrimination.

[QUOTE=Lookout;82633]Perhaps my questions were unclear. I wanted to know about unemployed mariners currently looking for work. Are they finding difficulty getting hired because of their age?

The mariners you describe are already employed and are adding endorsements to their mariners credential.

Nice job on the free “plug” for your boarding house though.[/QUOTE]

Actually, 2 of these guys began their careers just 2-3 years, ago, from the bottom.
I watched them take all of their classes and achieve their present status.
Just thought this info would be beneficial to your concerns regarding beginning a career in your 50’s or 60’s
As ccaptain and tugsailor commented; the physical is the only thing I have seen getting in the way.
(asthma, knee and back surgery issues, etc).
Just thought I would share this little bit of info that may help someone.

I don’t think your question is/was unclear. I believe your perception that you are somehow in a unique position needs the realization that there’s hundreds (if not thousands) of guys like you out there now.

Regarding ACOTB. They are only relaying what they see on a weekly basis.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;82630]Hey everyone has to turn a buck, until she starts sending mass pm’s I say have at.[/QUOTE]

My post was a compliment and next time I am at the office, I plan on stopping and bringing the lady flowers and chocolates for the good she has and is doing. My wife and I used to own a B&B so I am intimately aware of the sacrifices this nice lady is making for us.

[QUOTE=Lookout;82614]I’m wondering how the more experienced mariners, 50 years old and over, who lost jobs due to the slow economy are faring in their job search. Are you finding age discrimination blocking your path to a good job? Do company hiring agents suddenly become unresponsive after a successful Skype or Job Interview?

What is your experience?[/QUOTE]

There are at least six mariners over 50 who have been hired within the past 18 months that I am aware of, and my social circle is very limited.

As long as you pass the physicals, I don’t think there is a problem.

Roger that, my apologies.

Get over it and stay in shape no matter what age you are.

Chateau on the Bayou is providing a great service with consistently informative and helpful posts, not to mention nice rooms that come with free current intelligence on the bayou job hunting scene. Thanks.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;82661]Get over it and stay in shape no matter what age you are.[/QUOTE]

Hey young fella, its not about going to the gym and “staying in shape”. After a certain age (usually beginning at about 40) various parts of the body (eyes, disks, joints, etc.) just start to wear out, especially for those of us who have actually done a lot of hard labor. Don’t worry, it will happen to you too, sooner than you think.

+1 what tugsailor said.

Realization of thousands of guys like me? Cap. What is your point of your post? You don’t know me and how is that you assume you do? This isn’t about some boarding house on a bayou, good on them for their efforts in Louisiana.

The reason for my question is I plan to attend the Merchant Marine Medical Advisory Committee meeting next week in Piney Point, Maryland. The Coast Guard wants to implement designated medical examiners for all mariners. While this may work for some mariners, particularly union mariners, it would be another burden to bear for many mariners who are not members of a union. I just want to express my own humble opinion to the committee as a concerned mariner. A few more mariners in attendance wouldn’t hurt. Why don’t you come too?

I recently paid $300 for a physical & drug screen in order to get a clinic card from a union. It was required by the employer. No card - no job. I got the same physical & drug screen for only $100, at a private clinic in Manhattan just six months ago when I renewed. In addition at the union clinic, I had to spend fours hours drive time, tolls, and gas, to get to the union clinic. The private clinic was less than an hour away.

In my opinion, the designated medical examiner is a welcome improvement over the present system but mariners should continue to have the option to use their own doctor for the required Coast Guard physicals. How is it that CG medical evaluators can make medical decisions affecting mariners they have never examined? This has cost some mariners their job. Not because they couldn’t pass a physical, but because of the undue delay caused by the CG Medical Evaluator.

[QUOTE=Lookout;82693]In my opinion, the designated medical examiner is a welcome improvement over the present system but mariners should continue to have the option to use their own doctor for the required Coast Guard physicals. How is it that CG medical evaluators can make medical decisions affecting mariners they have never examined? This has cost some mariners their job. Not because they couldn’t pass a physical, but because of the undue delay caused by the CG Medical Evaluator.[/QUOTE]

Talk to airplane pilots…they have been made to have their phyicals done by FAA certified physicals since forever! I saw this one coming for a long time and actually welcome it. If a man can’t keep himself healthy enough to not be a risk to himself or his shipmates on a vessel then he should not be working at sea. A 300+ pound, chain smoking, blood pressure though the stratosphere, type 2 diabetic is not a man I want aboard my vessel. With the current system, such a man can find any doctor willing to lie on the physical evaluation form and the guy gets renewed without the USCG really knowing the person’s real physical condition.