Advice for everyday items to bring onboard

Looking for advice on everyday items to bring underway? Gloves multi tool pocket knife that sort of thing. I’m setting sail as a wiper. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

You will figure it out over time. My favorites are a knife, nail clipper, needle and blue thread (heavy), O-ring pick for cleaning my teeth, floss, toothpaste , deodorant, shampoo, 2-3 flashlights, a weeks worth of underwear, socks, tees (long sleeve tees too), jeans, sweatshirt/coat,rain coat or 2 depending where you are headed, 2 pair of work boots or shoes, shower shoes, extra glasses if you wear them (I bring 5 pair of reading glasses), sun glasses, wool watch cap or ball cap (Red Sox only). You can bring a laptop or tablet and headphones for music and your cell phone. I can pack for a 90 day trip with one bag and a carry-on and backpack. Put anything important in your backpack not in checked luggage and ALWAYS bring at least 2 days worth of clothes with you and work shoes and a flash light in your carry-on. I pack from my feet to my head in my luggage with at least 7 days of light stuff (socks,draws,tees), and 4 pair of work pants. I usually bring one decent going ashore set of clothes and two good shirts on long foreign trips and shorts for the tropical locations and a swim suit too. You can buy cool tee shirts wherever you travel so you don’t need a ton of going ashore stuff as you are there to work. Don’t plan on buying clothes in Europe or Asia if you are a big person as they only have up to large only.

sleeping bag, something to read

[QUOTE=CWAD03;148918]Looking for advice on everyday items to bring underway? Gloves multi tool pocket knife that sort of thing. I’m setting sail as a wiper. Any input would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE] A good attitude, a muzzle for your pie hole, something to keep your ears open, and whatever you like to work in… not lounge watching tv even if everyone else is doing it, but to WORK in. Too bad steam is gone has a good list of the fluff for the rest of your time aboard.

You didn’t mention what/where you were going to work, so that might a difference if you were Alaska vs. Brazil…90 days vs. 2 weeks… prescriptions come to mind for the long hitch…

6’ scale or smaller tape measure, paint stick pen, numerous pens for pocket, lead pencil (welders), voltage indicator for pocket, multi tool w/vice grip option if you can find it, small bright flashlight, one clik on one clik off, belt holster for light and tool, … I’ve never worked aboard ship that you had to mess with bedding, soap, domestic stuff. … some work clothes… what you wore off the airplane is your shore clothes. ditch the tv and music… get a couple books to read after a week or so when you learn&read the ships e systems.!! every man should always carry a pocket knife. If you go north you will end up outside & need oil skins etc.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have a friend who is a Chief Mate on an MSC ship. So I’m trying to get sent with him. Biggest hurdle right now is getting to the MFOW hall to apply. It’s 10-12 hours north or south from where I live.

Easy money- that is sound advice. I spent 5 years in the USCG and want to go back to work with MSC. Hopefully with my buddy in Korea. Right now I’m in the process of building a solid sea bag that I will modify depending on the jobs I pick up.

CWAD03 who are you sailing for as a wiper. I’ve been trying to sail as a wiper but I haven’t found any companies hiring for wipers.

[QUOTE=CWAD03;148918]Looking for advice on everyday items to bring underway? Gloves multi tool pocket knife that sort of thing. I’m setting sail as a wiper. Any input would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Bring with you a good attitude and a willingness to work along with some spare under wear, socks etc. . If you are going to be working as a wiper you are as low as you can get so act like it. You won’t need a knife or they’ll give you one. You will need to take a bath and the towels you will be given may not be what you are accustomed to but if you have done your job properly you won’t care, you will be too tired…Bring with you an ability to keep your mouth closed but your ears open. Do not get involved with ship board politics at all, this is not an episode of some BS reality TV program this is work. Do this for two years and then let us know how it works out.

Check the link if you have a habit of reading.