Academy Kids vs Hawsepipers

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;109195]Don’t think there’s as much of that going on now.

If I came across an engineer doing dope in the ER, my instinct would be to report it.

Would that be wrong? In high school you’d get beat up for snitching but this ain’t high school.[/QUOTE]

Well, there was also a bit of a political situation at the company at that time. If I were to report it, it would have been to one of his Laker buddies. I DID want to stay employed at the time. . . . .

[QUOTE=“Jetryder223;109195”]

Don’t think there’s as much of that going on now.

If I came across an engineer doing dope in the ER, my instinct would be to report it.

Would that be wrong? In high school you’d get beat up for snitching but this ain’t high school.[/QUOTE]

If you ask me, you sort of answered that yourself. In high school…

School’s over kiddo, and in the real world that shit is not acceptable.
I’d not just reported the sucker, I’d haul his/her ass out of the ER and straight to both Chief and Captain, still with the joint in his/her mouth.

I would not call that to snitch, I’d call it, you doing your job. Like the above said, if there was an incident that occured, this person puts vessel and crew in danger.

Had I lost ny job for it, so be it, I wouldn’t even have enjoyed or accepted it and regarded the boot as a favor.

Call me a law-riding hamspanker, but when it comes to this sort of shit I am steadfast.

If shit occured, you knew the person was intoxicated ON DUTY which is worse, you’d be SOL and JWF

Whatever you do, don’t tell the AB or chief, ‘in a year or two ill be your mate.’ Your not gonna make it to the end of the hitch. Guaranteed

[QUOTE=chgonyer;113326]Whatever you do, don’t tell the AB or chief, ‘in a year or two ill be your mate.’ Your not gonna make it to the end of the hitch. Guaranteed[/QUOTE]

Good advice. But, the corollary to this is that ABs should be careful around the new guy. They may not think they need to hide anything from the dumb new third right out of school, but someday that new guy MAY be the Chief Mate and will remember…

Working and lovin it. No ball busting to speak of. All good.

Very true. I suppose the thing to take away would be, you never know who you might be working under in the future. But you also shouldn’t be arrogant to the ones teaching you when your ‘young’