Able Seaman

Pogey to learn is to be fallible, to allow yourself to look stupid despite other opinions in order to learn. Acting like one knows when they don’t is ignorance and is the reason for mis info and failure during duty. The best captains, mates and engineers I know weren’t afraid to admit their lack of knowledge and that crates a space for genuine learning and understanding. The worst folks I worked with were the ones that gave answers to questions like they knew it when they didn’t and that caused me to look stupid in front of the people that did cause I listened to those people who seemed like they knew and didn’t but didn’t wanna hurt their pride by being honest. Learning is admitting mistakes and going back to correct it not just for one self but for the entire maritime community. Learning is a never ending endeavor and it requires being childlike in learning whilst building off previous knowledge. Now I learned to ask the same question to 12 different sailors and finding the most common in order to find what’s closest to the truth, a pattern. You can’t build the next strong and reliable generation of sailors without being honest about the level of knowledge you have. We’re a community not a competition. In other words build someone up and stop trying to tear em down.