Able Seaman or Able Bodied Seaman

Yes that’s a good book. Yeah I believe they sailed into the Bay Area. But I don’t think they called the place SanFransisco

[QUOTE=Ctony;168086]could be right…I had this flyer when I was a teenager and have no idea what happened to it.
ever read two years before the mast? I thought dana stopped there on his trip to the west coast…or did the bay just have the name and not the city then?[/QUOTE]

Richard Henry Dana did indeed sail into San Francisco bay. The town was then called “Yerba Buena”, the Mission was (and still is) called San Francisco, as was the bay.

[QUOTE=trekleader;168644]Richard Henry Dana did indeed sail into San Francisco bay. The town was then called “Yerba Buena”, the Mission was (and still is) called San Francisco, as was the bay.[/QUOTE]

where in Blue Blazes have you been man? Looked at your dossier and see you haven’t graced us with your presence since 2012! What on earth brought you back to us?

Ha…

Well, suffice it to say, life takes us in strange directions. I’ll be around more often from now on.

[QUOTE=trekleader;168660]Ha…

Well, suffice it to say, life takes us in strange directions. I’ll be around more often from now on.[/QUOTE]

Good…now all we need is for Dan Hammrick to come back to us and all will be right with the world (or wrong…who the HELL knows?)

[QUOTE=MateChristine;168097]According to the IMO and the STCW, it’s “able-seafarer-deck”. Not to be confused with “able-seafarer-engine”, [B]which used to the be the title “Oiler”[/B][/QUOTE]

Not according to STCW, all there was before the new rule was RFPNW and RFPEW.