USCG Getting Rid of All Able Seamen

Get your MMC renewed ASAP if you want to it to list “Able Seamen” on your endorsements. The 2023 CG Authorization Act is striking “Seamen” from the language in Title 46 USC and replacing it with “Seafarer.” It won’t be long before that word disappears.

1 Like

I thought they did that a while ago but so what? seriously, so what?

11 Likes

Only for the STCW endorsement. The national endorsements are still “Seaman” as AB’s have been called since around the 12th century.

For starters, if the word disappears from our vernacular, that is going to ruin the puchlines of many jokes.
The 52+ Best Seamen Jokes - ↑UPJOKE↑

3 Likes

HURR DURR GO WOKE GO BROKE!!!

Am I interpreting your post right?

7 Likes

The old days

1 Like

Nah.

However, these changes are pretty stupid. I still call SA’s “messmen.”

If anything it’s just silly the folks in charge are this bored.

4 Likes

I believe Messman is the internationally accepted term. It is how I label that billet on international arrival forms anyways.

I’m fairly sure that Able Bodied Seaman will remain as the international standard as well. I’m sure as shit not going around calling everyone RFPNW! :wink:

1 Like

Calm down, no need to get triggered over it.

4 Likes

Triggered? Not at all. I didn’t come running here to whine about it like the snowflake OP.

2 Likes

Dude, what is wrong with you? You seem neither neutral nor observant.

6 Likes

I’ve known many females who were ABs. Nothing wrong with the term seafarer, if we work at sea aren’t we all?

9 Likes

:joy::joy:

3 Likes

Sad no one ever uses the words “landsman” or “greenhorn” anymore. Now anyone can be called an OS without first having to be a landsman.

2 Likes

My MMC was issued in 2018 and says “Able Seafarer - Engine”. Should I be retroactively triggered?

6 Likes

Wait until you find out what SIU stands for.

14 Likes

Sorry to be a stickler but the rating is “Able Seaman” not Able-Bodied Seaman.

6 Likes

Those are both good terms for newbies or the terminally clueless, however when disappointed with the aptitude or skill of a “deck-ape”, I used the term “farmer” as a pejorative.

4 Likes

Farmers are definitely some hard working folk. Wish we have some “able body farmers onboard.” I would trade two to three Jacksonville ABs for one able body farmer in a heartbeat.

Going forward I’m going to use “Jax AB” as a pejorative now. Hierarchy will go Jax OS, Jax AB, OS, AB.

6 Likes

its no longer politically correct to call them seaMEN it may offend people that cant make up their minds whether they are male or female

Not long now before there are ships flying the “Pride” flag. :rainbow_flag: