AB Unlimited to 3rd Mate

Hi, this might be a question for Mr.Cavo.

I currently have an AB Unlimited Rating w RFPNW. I earned it on tugboats all under 200 tons. Since that I got 400 days on ships over 1600 tons. My question is: Will I be allowed to sit for 3M exam since I already have AB Unlimited?
Or, Do I still need to wait until I accumulate 1080 days of seatime on unlimited tonnage? I am already taking required classess and working on my OICNW assessments.

Good sailing!

[QUOTE=admiral;96030]Hi, this might be a question for Mr.Cavo.

I currently have an AB Unlimited Rating w RFPNW. I earned it on tugboats all under 200 tons. Since that I got 400 days on ships over 1600 tons. My question is: Will I be allowed to sit for 3M exam since I already have AB Unlimited?
Or, Do I still need to wait until I accumulate 1080 days of seatime on unlimited tonnage? I am already taking required classess and working on my OICNW assessments.

Good sailing![/QUOTE]

No. You need a total of 3 years on vessels over 200 GRT. For any unlimited license, regardless of what other endorsements or licenses you have, all of the time has to be over 200 GRT. If you have enough time for mate 500 or mate 1600, the exam and assessments you use for that are the same as for 3rd mate, and if you get mate 500 or 1600 with STCW now, you won’t need additional tests (other than flashing light) or assessments when you get the time you need for 3rd Mate.

I appreciate your quick reply! Thanks!