AB to 500 to 3rd Unlimited

Hi, first post here. I am an AB on an unlimited tonnage hopper dredge. I have 10 years service on a 99 ton fishing vessel, and a 100 ton master license, but that is besides the point. I’m about to go to school to test for my 500 ton mate license, but if I’m not mistaken, I’ll only be eligible to get a N/C mate license since I have no time as a master of 200 tons or more. My question is this, if I get the 500 N/C mate license, how do I increase the scope to oceans, which will then allow me to upgrade to 3rd mate unlimited. Is it as simple as taking a celestial course & testing at the REC? Is this the fastest way to go from AB unlimited to 3rd mate unlimited? (This is my short term goal).

I may be wrong but I think that door has closed without extra schools.

A good license consultant could help you make the most of your seatime for every license that you are entitled to.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;144314]A good license consultant could help you make the most of your seatime for every license that you are entitled to.[/QUOTE]
even if your time and what you want is black and white, a license consultant is the way to go. If I would have used one over the last year it would have saved me some grief.

[QUOTE=Tymerwin;144247]…My question is this, if I get the 500 N/C mate license, how do I increase the scope to oceans, which will then allow me to upgrade to 3rd mate unlimited. Is it as simple as taking a celestial course & testing at the REC? Is this the fastest way to go from AB unlimited to 3rd mate unlimited? (This is my short term goal).[/QUOTE]

There is no difference in the sea time. If you qualify for near coastal, you should also qualify for oceans. See 46 CFR 11.418, it makes no distinction between the service required for oceans, and what is required for near coastal.

The difference is the test. Also, most if not all of the courses for celestial navigation are approved to increase scope from near coastal to oceans, not for the original oceans license. So if you decide to go directly for oceans, you may have to take the test from an REC.

Apar from going to an academy, there’s only one way to get 3rd Mate: Three years of service in the deck department on ocean self-propelled vessels, with a minimum of 6 months of
bridge watchkeeping duties under the supervision of the master or a qualified officer.

For 3rd Mate, all of the time has to be on vessels over 200 GRT. As soon as you have this time, you can get 3rd Mate. It doesn’t matter if you have Mate 500 or not, and getting Mate 500 won’t chnage anything, but if you do get Mate 500 for the same route as you apply for 3rd Mate, you won’t have to take another test.

Thank you. Just to clarify, if I get my 500 ton mate now, and work as AB until I have my 1080 for 3rd, is there any differnce in the time it will take to get there, rather than just waiting and going straight from AB to 3rd?