AB osv - Unlimited AB 1080 sea time

I have completed the requirements to test for 1600 ton mate I have 912 - 12 hour days on vessels 199 tons. Can I get an AB unlimited on that without testing? Just looking for the easy way if anyone knows I appreciate your help

You are going to have to test for it. When I got my 500 ton Master license I had to take the AB test along with it.

Thanks Capt. Hard to believe with all that time, experience and training they won’t just give it to you

I know of guys that had 1600 or 500 ton Master licenses for years, but never had an AB. I heard that some of those were just given the AB, but I had also heard of guys with the same credentials that had to test. I had to test it because I was coming from a 100 ton crew boat upgrading to 500 ton Master. I thought it was funny I had to get the AB credentials, but you already qualified for 500 Ton Master credentials.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;49104]I know of guys that had 1600 or 500 ton Master licenses for years, but never had an AB. I heard that some of those were just given the AB, but I had also heard of guys with the same credentials that had to test. I had to test it because I was coming from a 100 ton crew boat upgrading to 500 ton Master. I thought it was funny I had to get the AB credentials, but you already qualified for 500 Ton Master credentials.[/QUOTE]

Whenever I got my 1600 ton Master, I was given the AB unlimited. I had the AB-OSV to that point. I believe they WILL give it to you at a point, I just don’t know what that point is.

The FRC is what I think is stupid, for those that have unlimited mate and master licenses not being qualified unless you take a few days of SCHOOL for the little jet boat. Pure stupidity!

Same thing with me. I originally took the test for AB OSV. On one of my renewals they gave me the AB unlimited. If he has the AB OSV that should work.

When I upgraded to the 500 Ton Masters the AB OSV was changed to an AB unlimited also.

The AB OSV is still an AB and I believe the practical test is the same and the written test (if it isn’t the same) should be covered by the 1600 ton master test so the upgrade in AB should be automatic.

I had a different experience with the REC a couple of renewals ago. My original AB was AB 12 months tug and towboats. When I renewed my Z-card they were giving me an AB osv. I argued that with my accumulated deck time over the years, I should qualify for AB unlimited. I was told that I would have to re-test. I don’t remember the exact fee but i payed but it was in excess of $100 to re-test, passed and then was told that I was 27 days short of deck time over 100grt for Unlimited, so I was issued Limited. When I renewed for my MMC, the NMC issued me AB unlimited without asking. Go Figure…