AB-Mate in Training

It’s fairly standard that when going from a near coastal to an oceans license, mate-time while holding a mate’s license is required. I have however heard of confirmed cases where AB-mate in training time was accepted in place of actual mate time.

What I don’t know is what the specific CFR citation is for this exception. Even though I know for a fact that there are cases where this has occurred I still won’t believe it until I read it in the CFR’s. I have used the search function both here on the forum and on an electronic version of the CFR’s but my endeavors have been all for naught.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Mr. Cavo?

Thanks

Look in the marine safety manual, more or the special cases and upgrade loopholes reside there.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;122639]It’s fairly standard that when going from a near coastal to an oceans license, mate-time while holding a mate’s license is required. I have however heard of confirmed cases where AB-mate in training time was accepted in place of actual mate time.

What I don’t know is what the specific CFR citation is for this exception. Even though I know for a fact that there are cases where this has occurred I still won’t believe it until I read it in the CFR’s. I have used the search function both here on the forum and on an electronic version of the CFR’s but my endeavors have been all for naught.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Mr. Cavo?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

There is no regulation about upgtading to mate licenses. They are given as total requirements for the license and you have tyo show that total regardless of what you might already hold, but any service that meets the requirements can be used, even if the same service was used for a previous license. When you consider that you can use the same time you used before, you really only need the difference between what you have, and what you want. For Mate 1600, one of these differences is that near coastal does not require time as master or mate, and oceans does. Mate 1600 oceans requires one year of the 3 year total to have been as mate or master, since mate 1600 near coastal requires two yerars total with none as mate/master, the effective requirement to increase the scope from NC to oceans is one year as mate.

In your case, it gets more complicated as (if I remember right) you got your license from Maine Maritime. There’s some recent histroy on that, ask Andy Chase at MMA if you want more info on that.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;122663]There is no regulation about upgtading to mate licenses. They are given as total requirements for the license and you have tyo show that total regardless of what you might already hold, but any service that meets the requirements can be used, even if the same service was used for a previous license. When you consider that you can use the same time you used before, you really only need the difference between what you have, and what you want. For Mate 1600, one of these differences is that near coastal does not require time as master or mate, and oceans does. Mate 1600 oceans requires one year of the 3 year total to have been as mate or master, since mate 1600 near coastal requires two yerars total with none as mate/master, the effective requirement to increase the scope from NC to oceans is one year as mate.

In your case, it gets more complicated as (if I remember right) you got your license from Maine Maritime. There’s some recent histroy on that, ask Andy Chase at MMA if you want more info on that.[/QUOTE]

I had a decent grasp on those concepts I guess what I’m asking is does the NMC accept “AB/Mate in Training” time in place of “Mate” time in order to transfer from a near coastal license to an oceans license.

Be glad you don’t have to deal with that nonsense paddy!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;122665]I had a decent grasp on those concepts I guess what I’m asking is does the NMC accept “AB/Mate in Training” time in place of “Mate” time in order to transfer from a near coastal license to an oceans license.[/QUOTE]

They won’t accept it if you’re not a mate. The title makes it sound like you’re not.