A Long Shot for Seatime?

Recently a friend expressed interest in obtaining a OUPV/6-pack license. He currently works for a stevedoring company as a ship superintentant. As a ship superintentant he supervises berthing and unberthing, supervises cargo loading and calculates all pre- and final stow plans. Under [U]46 CFR 11.211(b)[/U] shoreside personnel can use their “Port engineer, shipyard superintendent experience, instructor service, or similar related service may be creditable for a maximum of six months of service”. I belive that his expirence would qualify as similar service. [U]My question is would he have a leg to stand on if he tried to use his stevedoring time to gain seatime?[/U]

[QUOTE=MateChristine;43886]Recently a friend expressed interest in obtaining a OUPV/6-pack license. He currently works for a stevedoring company as a ship superintentant. As a ship superintentant he supervises berthing and unberthing, supervises cargo loading and calculates all pre- and final stow plans. Under [U]46 CFR 11.211(b)[/U] shoreside personnel can use their “Port engineer, shipyard superintendent experience, instructor service, or similar related service may be creditable for a maximum of six months of service”. I belive that his expirence would qualify as similar service. [U]My question is would he have a leg to stand on if he tried to use his stevedoring time to gain seatime?[/U][/QUOTE]

That CFR is for a raise in grade, not an original license.

He’ll probably get more credit driving around his own ski boat on the weekends…

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;43888]He’ll probably get more credit driving around his own ski boat on the weekends…[/QUOTE]

Very true!

@Robert-Thanks for mentioning that the CFR refrence was only for raise in grade, not sure how i missed that one!..
However 11.211(e) states:
e) Other experience in a marine related area, other than at sea, or sea service performed on unique vessels, will be evaluated by the OCMI and forwarded to the Commandant for a determination of equivalence to traditional service.

Does anybody have any insight or exprience with this?

wondering if time spent teaching STCW classes would count as chief mate time towards upgrade to master (having hard time finding CM position)- anyone have any experience or references on this?

[QUOTE=JP;43931]wondering if time spent teaching STCW classes would count as chief mate time towards upgrade to master (having hard time finding CM position)- anyone have any experience or references on this?[/QUOTE]

JP, Have you tried Oilcareers.com? I see CM positions there quite often. Also you may want to try calling Marcie Viator at C-Mar International. marcie.viator@c-mar.com
These are not headhunters

[QUOTE=JP;43931]wondering if time spent teaching STCW classes would count as chief mate time towards upgrade to master (having hard time finding CM position)- anyone have any experience or references on this?[/QUOTE]
Hey JP!
YES! 46 CFR 11.211 (b) says you can but only for 6 months of your required time, also
46 CFR 11.211(2) Service as a bona fide instructor at a school of navigation or marine engineering is creditable on a two-for-one basis for a raise of grade. (Twelve months of experience equals six months of creditable service).

[QUOTE=MateChristine;43953]Hey JP!
YES! 46 CFR 11.211 (b) says you can but only for 6 months of your required time, also
46 CFR 11.211(2) Service as a bona fide instructor at a school of navigation or marine engineering is creditable on a two-for-one basis for a raise of grade. (Twelve months of experience equals six months of creditable service).[/QUOTE]

That aint gonna work, also from [I]11.211[/I]
[I]“The documentary evidence produced by the applicant must contain the amount and nature (e.g. [B][U]chief mate[/U][/B]. assistant engineer, etc.) of the applicant’s experience, the vessel name, gross tonnage, shaft horsepower and official numbers, the routes upon which the experience was acquired, and approximate dates of service.”[/I]

Six months as Chief Mate has to be specified to do the upgrade to Master Unl. One more time for good measure----

From [I]11.404 [/I]
[I]“Service requirements for master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons.[/I]
[I]The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons is:[/I]
I One year of service as chief mate on ocean steam or motor vessels; or,[/I]
I One year of service on ocean steam or motor vessels while holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate of ocean steam or motor vessels as follows:[/I]
I A minimum of six months of service as chief mate; and,[/I]
I Service as officer in charge of a navigational watch accepted on a two-for-one basis (12 months as second or third mate equals six months of creditable service).”[/I]
[I]TRY THIS GUY FOR A CHIEF MATE GIG: Capt Cliff Ruggles(cliff@transatlanticlines.com)
[/I]