500 ton study material

Hey guys, Upgrading to 500 T master and I’m looking for the best study material for deck gen, nav gen, and deck safety. I have Mariner Advancement and its not very navigable. Basicaly, they give you a thumbdrive and say “Here, you find the answer”. I’m looking for somthing I can actually read and learn from instead of using memorization of question and answers. Something that will explain why a certain answer is correct instead just giving me the right answers. I’m not interested in the lapware, I’m old school, I like books. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Capt. Mike Miele

[QUOTE=jescribel08;168840]Hey guys, Upgrading to 500 T master and I’m looking for the best study material for deck gen, nav gen, and deck safety. I have Mariner Advancement and its not very navigable. Basicaly, they give you a thumbdrive and say “Here, you find the answer”. I’m looking for somthing I can actually read and learn from instead of using memorization of question and answers. Something that will explain why a certain answer is correct instead just giving me the right answers. I’m not interested in the lapware, I’m old school, I like books. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Capt. Mike Miele[/QUOTE]
There is so much to study since i did mine . Ask around your friends to see who has done it and might have there old study info. If there is martime school in the area thats a great place to start.

From some of your comments and questions on Facebook, you have a long way to go before your ready(or need) to test. Start with Bowditch, read up on USCG regs for testing and what is included in the tests, and review all of the threads on here about testing and upgrading. People who know also keep recommending Lapware to you because it works, don’t ask if you don’t want to hear their answers. Good luck.

This is the single most informative article that I have come across on the subject. It’s posted in the 500 ton sub forum here:

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/500-ton-master-upgrade/17428-hawsepiper-guide-master-mate-500-1600-mileage-vary.html

I owe a tip of the hat to the author of crew boat chronicles for sure!

[QUOTE=swab;168854]http://crewboatchronicles.blogspot.com/2015/08/a-hawsepipers-guide-to-applying.html

This is the single most informative article that I have come across on the subject. It’s posted in the 500 ton sub forum here:

http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/500-ton-master-upgrade/17428-hawsepiper-guide-master-mate-500-1600-mileage-vary.html

I owe a tip of the hat to the author of crew boat chronicles for sure![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links. I 'm getting ready to apply to test with the USCG for my 1600 ton NC and it seems like it gets more complicated every year.

I bought the Murphy books and most of the reference books the USCG pulls their questions from. Pretty daunting task to try and study on my own. Some of my shipmates tell me to bite the bullet and take a prep class others said Lapware and a tutor for Terrestrial Navigation.

Good luck on your test. I know I’m going to need it.