500 ton & OICNW

Does the near coastal/oceans 500 ton require OICNW anymore? I remember hearing something about the 500 being restricted “domestic only” but have not heard on here whether OICNW is still required or not.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;54265]Does the near coastal/oceans 500 ton require OICNW anymore? I remember hearing something about the 500 being restricted “domestic only” but have not heard on here whether OICNW is still required or not.[/QUOTE]

For Master or Mate? But, policy letter 07-11 is the new OICNW policy that applies to Mates, and yes, it’s a needed endorsement.

Sorry, 500 ton mate. So it is restricted domestic only but requires OICNW? They don’t make sense…

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;54269]Sorry, 500 ton mate. So it is restricted domestic only but requires OICNW? They don’t make sense…[/QUOTE]

Of course it doesn’t make sense if you change the question. Are you asking about a Near Coastal/Oceans license or an Inland license? STCW has never applied to an Inland license, so OICNW has never applied and nothing has changed. Is OICNW still required for a Coastal/Oceans license? Yes, but how one is able to obtain those endorsements has changed. It never did have anything to do with an Inland license and still doesn’t.

“Domestic only” does not mean inland. It is possible to get a NC or Ocean license and have it be domestic only. I heard that was what all 500 ton licenses are issued as now and no one said otherwise so I figured that part was correct.

With the new MMCs all licenses have “Domestic Only” I called the USCG when I got mine and they said when you go international your STCW is your license. So that’s why the US license section says “Domestic Only” as in our domestic US license.

[QUOTE=PR-9;54468]With the new MMCs all licenses have “Domestic Only” I called the USCG when I got mine and they said when you go international your STCW is your license. So that’s why the US license section says “Domestic Only” as in our domestic US license.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly right. My Unlimited Master license says domestic only, but my STCW has the code II/2 Master with no limitations.

I am also pretty sure they don’t issue stcw equivalents to a 500 ton license. I have a 1600 and a 500 ton sail and the 500 ton has no ITC tonnage equivalent. When I called and asked I was told they don’t do that anymore. I don’t know about the domestic only part, I have not seem a new issue 500 ton license to know one way or another. I was just going off what I heard.

Mine lists my licenses on two pages, it lists them once saying I am qualified as per stcw code, and lists master 1600/3000, master 500 sail, and proficient in taking charge of medical care. Then on the next page it says I am qualified as per usc xxx.xxx (domestic only) then lists master 1600/3000, master 500, ab unlimited, ab sail, wiper, food handler, lifeboatman, person in charge of medical care. None of the licenses say domestic only beside them like I have heard some do, including the new 500 ton licenses. Again, I have never seen one myself to verify.

The new MMCs are printed that way to ‘conform’ to IMO standards.

When (if) you go to a foreign country and they want to see your credentials the ONLY page they care about, will look at, and will scrutinize is the Second page (The first page of licensing credentials), with the STCW codes, and endorsements. They won’t care what page 3 says.

Someone who does NOT have the STCW endorsement page is NOT authorized to work in NON US waters. They will be looking for more and more credentials the higher in rank you are. A deckhand would only need the basic safety, FF, and rescue craft. Officers need more credentials. The new book makes it easier to figure out what we have.

Everyone has page 3 with the phrase 'As Per USC xxx.xxx (domestic only)" That page does NOT apply to working in foreign waters. If you have left the US controlled ‘Near Coastal’ waters (wherever the boundary is nearest you) you MUST have a Oceans Endorsement, thus the Page 2 will appear in your MMC.

I realize that, my point is that the 500 ton license had no itc equivalent. All it says it 500 gt (domestic tonnage). They do not say 500 gt itc or any other itc equivalent.

It should be in page 7 under your name. “entitled under title 46…(Domestic Only)”

All it says it 500 gt (domestic tonnage). They do not say 500 gt itc or any other itc equivalent.

I asked the same question to an evaluator. I had the Master 200 GRT / 500 ITC. After testing I got my 500 GRT / 3000 ITC-OSV. It was the old style license. I was working on R/Vs then so the OSV didn’t do me any good. I told him I needed an ITC without the OSV. He said that since there was no crossover for 500 GRT that that would be my tonnage limit for any type of tonnage, except for OSVs. In a nutshell the 500 GRT was no different than my 200 GRT concerning ITC. Or so I was told. I never got to test his explanation with any inspector, I came back to the GoM where the GRT tonnage on the boat was used to sail until I got my 1600.

My old 500 ton was listed as 500 grt / 500 gt itc. If that’s how they want to list it, fine, but I can see problems with only having a domestic tonnage listed on a license with no equivalent for a foreign inspector to reference. How do they knew it is 500/500? They might decide it is not valid on any itc tonnage vessel.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;54519]My old 500 ton was listed as 500 grt / 500 gt itc. If that’s how they want to list it, fine, but I can see problems with only having a domestic tonnage listed on a license with no equivalent for a foreign inspector to reference. How do they knew it is 500/500? They might decide it is not valid on any itc tonnage vessel.[/QUOTE]

That was a question I posted and never received a complete answer too. If you ONLY have a GRT tonnage listed on your documentation then are you ONLY able to serve on a vessel that has the GRT tonnage on the COI? If the vessel is duel tonnage and lists both GRT and ITC how do you know which tonnage is applicable? If the vessel is only ITC tonnage then you CANNOT serve on that vessel legally?

Apparently according to the uscg but I don’t want to chance it with a foreign official.

[QUOTE=Capt. Schmitt;54531]Apparently according to the uscg but I don’t want to chance it with a foreign official.[/QUOTE]

So you think that you can only sail on a GRT vessel if you have only GRT tonnage listed on your license? If no ITC listed on your license then you are not legal on an ITC vessel of any size?

No, but I want the itc listed on there so a foreign inspector doesn’t decide that is the case.