500/1600 ton Mate to 3rd/2nd Mate

I currently have a 1600 ton master ocean and master of towing ocean. I didn’t need to test for 2m because I took the 500 ton mate exam four years ago. I still need to test for master agt inland though…

Ahh ok, I guess I didn’t read the thread correctly. But congrats on advancing

Did you get a second or third?

Second with a limitation. I skipped third.

What is the limitation? Was Celestial on your orginal 1600 Mate test?

2000grt / 4000 gt

Yes, I took celestial with my 500 ton mate exam 4 years ago.

Capt. Phoenix, I’m confused. How did you skip third? Have you set the precedence?

Please enlighten me so I may do the same down the road. . Thanks

And congratulations

This is my question as well?

Capt Phoenix I have a couple questions hope you can spare some time. I will be upgrading to 3rd in the near future majority of my time is on a 400 ton vessel, was this around the same tonnage as you? Also if I take celestial class and get the Ocean endorsement to my current license (1600 Mate N/C) will I have to retest on celestial for the upgrade or will the class be accepted for my 3rd also. Feel free to PM if you would like.

Thank you

The celestial tests for 1600 ton and unlimited licenses are different and a certificate for 1600 ton celestial class will not work for 3rd mate. The difference in tests seems to be in the sailings (great circle, rhumb line, etc)

I was not aware that the test was different but you are correct, a certificate from a school will not get you a 3m ocean endorsement. If you take the celestial exam at an rec for 1600 ton mate then that will carry over to 3m.

Deleted repeat post.

I upgraded to master any gross tons inland, which allowed me to get 2m oceans. It is all in the marine safety manual and cfrs. Capt. Leigh actually enlightened me to that path in another thread about two months ago.

Does the NMC require the OICNW assessment sheets? Is it possible to have the NMC evaluate which sheets are needed if any?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;68361]I was not aware that the test was different but you are correct, a certificate from a school will not get you a 3m ocean endorsement. If you take the celestial exam at an rec for 1600 ton mate then that will carry over to 3m.[/QUOTE]

It should not carry over either - from 1600ton, but sometimes it will because how the policy letter reads. It depends on if your evaluator just reads policy or actually understands it.

It’s possible. I’m fairly certain I took the actual 2m exam at the time. The boston rec had a policy of giving 500\1600 ton mates the 2m exam (the 500/1600 and 2m exams had different test codes) so they could upgrade with just sea time without hassle. Except now there is no record of my mate test at all…

Deleted repeat post.

Roger that, thank you