4 Weeks, and still nothing from the NMC

Agree with the above statements. I applied for 3rd mate unlimited. My evaluator told me to write a letter stating that I understand I will be issued a restricted lic. Mainly he said was that he needed my signature stating I understand I wouldn’t receive a Unlimited lic.

I applied for 3 or 4 different lic. when I applied. From 500t up to unlimited. I went with the biggest they would give me. Matter of fact they were not going let me sit for my Unlimited due to recency… I had to ask about the restricted lic. and he said, " oh yea, you can do that."

Day 83.
Called yet again, spoke with yet another supervisor who also promises to call me back when they know something. Is there someone very high up I can call just to get a status update? Can the NMC just sit on my paperwork for 90 days until it times out?!

There is not a 90 day clock running while they are sitting on your stuff. (Not trying to make excuse for your wait, but any means though!)

Well I finally got a call from my Evaluator early this week. She said that they had been waiting on the NMC Officer in Charge or something. Basically the person in charge before let Oilers get 12 hour days, but the newer person in charge(i forgot his/her exact title but it sounded pretty high up) is reversing their predecessor’s ruling and wont allow Oilers to get 12 hours of sea time, even though we work 12 hours a day. Oh well at least I tried.

I thanked her and then I had to send her an email to remove all the licenses from my application, and reapply for a DDE 4000hp Motors and C/E OSV 4000hp. I was approved to test today! Finally!

Thanks for all the help everyone. You all have been a great source of information.

[QUOTE=liftedlimo;77238]Well I finally got a call from my Evaluator early this week. She said that they had been waiting on the NMC Officer in Charge or something. Basically the person in charge before let Oilers get 12 hour days, but the newer person in charge(i forgot his/her exact title but it sounded pretty high up) is reversing their predecessor’s ruling and wont allow Oilers to get 12 hours of sea time, even though we work 12 hours a day. Oh well at least I tried.

I thanked her and then I had to send her an email to remove all the licenses from my application, and reapply for a DDE 4000hp Motors and C/E OSV 4000hp. I was approved to test today! Finally!

Thanks for all the help everyone. You all have been a great source of information.[/QUOTE]

REPLY I am sorry to hear that you had such problems get approved to test by the NMC, but glad to hear that you finally have them resolved.

This is a classic example of why it makes good sense to use the licensing experts. You saved $200 by reading the CFRs and doing it yourself, but spent months of waiting and worrying, and probably lost at least $10,000 in increased wages by staying at your current level for so much longer.

The first time I pay some “insider” to do my own upgrade paperwork is the day I quit this industry. Yes, I did read the CFR’s. One section says I cant work 12 hour days. Then the other section says I can work 12 hours. There is contradictory rules and it depends on how the USCG person in charge feels that day to rule on it.

I went for the large license so I could stay on the ship I have been on for 3 years and am familiar with. Now I have to go to a tiny ship that I have to get off of ASAP so I don’t loose my unlimited HP seatime after a year. Oh well at least I am going to test finally.