3rd mate Req. Full 1080 days now?

I had 680 days from the Navy and all I “thought” I needed was 90 active days in the last 3 years but I called the NMC and the lady said you need the full 1080 days as an AB now.

Kind of sucks but is she correct? I always like to chk the hive before I take anything they say as correct.

edit
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_05_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_05_web.pdf&B1=GO!

bummer looks like she is correct and they are making it harder to move up from deck without going to a fucking 4 year school and paying $100,000

Maybe I’m reading it wrong, I went the academy route, but doesn’t the check list say you need 180 days as AB and 1080 total. Not 1080 as AB.

Edit: And as for paying for school, does everyone want free school these days? If you qualify for it there’s plenty of financial aid available. Not a KP fan, but they’re even practically free. The other schools have MMR, grants, and scholarships with more students getting pretty good financial aid packages if they have decent grades. Better then pretty much any other profession.

My total time is 680 but one of the mates said he went from limited to 3rd so I either misunderstood him or it was just changed. Oh well

Ahhh that makes sense, as a Limited Master he only needed 360 days. He might have a tonnage limitation and/or some “creative” seatime submissions.

AB Unlimited has been 1080 days for quite some time.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;182989]I had 680 days from the Navy and all I “thought” I needed was 90 active days in the last 3 years but I called the NMC and the lady said you need the full 1080 days as an AB now.

Kind of sucks but is she correct? I always like to chk the hive before I take anything they say as correct.

edit
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_05_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_05_web.pdf&B1=GO!

bummer looks like she is correct and they are making it harder to move up from deck without going to a fucking 4 year school and paying $100,000[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Menizzi;182992]My total time is 680 but one of the mates said he went from limited to 3rd so I either misunderstood him or it was just changed. Oh well[/QUOTE]

The requirements for 3M haven’t changed in a while, it’s 1080 days.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;182992]My total time is 680 but one of the mates said he went from limited to 3rd so I either misunderstood him or it was just changed. Oh well[/QUOTE]

Nothing changed, 680 days has never been enough.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182999]The requirements for 3M haven’t changed in a while, it’s 1080 days.[/QUOTE]

With 6 months of this total as AB. That also hasn’t changed in a very long time.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;182995]Ahhh that makes sense, as a Limited Master he only needed 360 days. He might have a tonnage limitation and/or some “creative” seatime submissions.[/QUOTE]

I think Menizzi means AB-Limited. Whether it’s AB-Limited, or Limited Master, it doesn’t add up. AB Limited takes 18 months, so 18 more is needed, Limited Master takes 1 year, so 2 more years is needed.

All non-academy applicants need 1080 days, but you can use sea time that you used before, as long as it is over 100 GRT.

Correct as I have not been working as a AB. Trying now tho. Maybe some thing in Houston Tx will pop up.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;183023]Correct as I have not been working as a AB. Trying now tho. Maybe some thing in Houston Tx will pop up.[/QUOTE]

You actually don’t need time as an AB anymore. You need 180 days of “bridge watchkeeping duties under the supervision of the master or a qualified officer” total out of the 1080 required days.