3rd Mate AGT Question

Can I sail as mate on a 200GRT or less tug boat with a third mate unlimited? Is the third mate equivalent to a 1600 ton mate? I understand that I will have to have the towing endorsement but I am just wondering about equivalency with the term “third mate”.

Correct me if im wrong…but as far as I know unlimited is unlimited…so, yup you can sail any type of boat/ship…
And yup it is equivalent to Mate 1600T…

Yes, a 3m is equivalent to a 1600 ton mate.

Third mate is equal to and greater than a 1600 mate (WRT the increased tonnage that the Third Mate may work as a mate.)

…but, you need a towing endorsement to work on a tug. Lots of threads on here about how to get your TOAR completed.

[QUOTE=CoastalDPO;61055]Can I sail as mate on a 200GRT or less tug boat with a third mate unlimited? Is the third mate equivalent to a 1600 ton mate? I understand that I will have to have the towing endorsement but I am just wondering about equivalency with the term “third mate”.[/QUOTE]

The answer is no, the above posts are correct for vessels that do not engage in towing. If you want to be in charge of a navigational watch on an uninspected towing vessel you will need to have a completed TOAR, and 30 days aboard a towing vessel.

Ideally you will add the towing endorsement to your license at the next renewal.

Yes I understand that I would need a towing endorsement, I was just asking in reference to tonnage.