2nd Mate TS Empire State - $52K per year

Maritime is looking for a 2nd mate on the ship and offering $52,000 per year; in about the most expensive cost of living area in the country.

Many of us could name any number of absolutely worthless administrative employees at Maritime who make almost 3 times that.

Here’s the link to the job, and some others.

http://maritime.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=46334

Does not say anything about housing or meals, wonder if those are included in which case you figure thats another 40-50k/year. You get used to the bridge noise, and living on the TSES during Summer Sea Term can’t be too bad. Would be a good gig for the right guy, some good men have held that position and moved up and progressed their careers nicely.

Better be careful or Charlie Stocking will apply for it.

When I worked there Rick Smith (Not Captain of the T.S. Empire State) was the Second Mate. Most of the guys working as Officers on the SHip were also going back for extra Degrees. Most of them also loved on the Ship during the week so their cost of living was low.

Like a gigalow scholarship?  Wow, hope they washed the linens afterwards lol...
1 Like

[QUOTE=Tugs;131193]When I worked there Rick Smith (Not Captain of the T.S. Empire State) was the Second Mate. Most of the guys working as Officers on the SHip were also going back for extra Degrees. Most of them also loved on the Ship during the week so their cost of living was low.[/QUOTE]

Should have said, LIVED on the Ship. Damn auto correct.

I think they mean they are hiring a navigator for the SST.

The “Second Mate” billet on the training ship has, for years now, been held by Pete Vecchio. When it comes to SST, they hire individuals with a 2nd’s ticket to do the voyage plans and also stand watch.