25’11” pushboat sea time

Does this sea time running these under 26 foot pushboats count for anything? I work for a marine construction company, I work on their tug, but it rarely sails except at the end of a job to move the equipment to the next job. I might get an average of 4 days a month underway on the tug at best. Meanwhile I’m working 6-7 days a week moving barges around with one of these <26 foot pushboats. I think this sea time is useless as the boat is only 20 gross tons, but I’m moving barges that are 2000-3000 tons loaded around. It seems like this sea time should count for something more then a 100 ton license, especially now that the 100 ton master of tow is no longer available as a new issue license? Anyone know if I am missing something here?

1 Like

You can use some combined tug/barge time but you’ll need to get in something bigger at some point for a bigger license…

1 Like

Fill out a small boat service form. AFAIK, iIf you have the days, you should be able to get a 25-ton license and build from there.

1 Like

I believe that you can use your under 26’ push boat time toward most limited tonnage licenses, but you cannot use any of toward master or mate of towing because it’s not a tug subject to Subchapter M.

Only seatime over 100 tons can be used toward an unlimited license.

1 Like