23yo Greenhorn looking for salmon purse seiner deckhand job april2019

Hello everyone bill here, Looking to make connections and gather information on what it takes to jump into the world of commercial purse seining. Absolutely prepared for the long hours of repetitious, cold, wet work. Very close friend going into his 4th season this year(along with a couple others) so already have an idea of what the world is like. Hoping to run into a few people on this forum or another that can help guide in the right direction. So far the plan will be to head for Homer AK and do the dock walk. That is unless i run into any solid leads on here.
All leads/advice appreciated and many thanks for taking the time to help.

Bill

Your close friend going on his fourth season sounds like your best bet to get your foot in the door.

1 Like

there are very few is any commercial fishermen here so better get packing to go to Homer and don’t forget you want Helly Hansen oilskins and xtraTuf boots…if you show up with cheapassed shyte from Walmart, you will be a laughing stock and as a greenhorn you are going to be laughed at plenty as it is.

good luck

3 Likes

There is a south east Alaska purse seiners group on FB. They will be a better place to network than this forum. There are several other groups on FB but I cannot recall the names. Might not get you a job but you may make some connections.

Good luck on your first season!

Heard that ill make sure not to cheap out on gear, thank you!

I’ll be sure to check it out, had a feeling facebook would be a little more active. thank you very much!

Of course he’ll have an ear out for me but trying all i can to do my part. any extra leads found can only increase my chances.

Good luck up in Alaska. I was a commercial fisherman for around 30 years on the east coast. Talk to your friend plan your trip to Homer around one of the openings or busy seasons and good luck.

You might try the Seattle, Port Townsend, Anacortes, Bellingham, etc. areas first. That where a lot of the boats fishing in Alaska are based. You might also contact the net lofts, places like Lummi Fisheries Supply.

If you can, go hang out where the fishermen are working on nets and volunteer to help. You might want to look into a basic one week net mending class.

Learning lots about Seattle being a major hub and that sounds like a prime idea. Wouldn’t mind doing some volunteer work at all if there’s knowledge and possible connects to be gained. Thank you!!

1 Like

I suppose that rules out rainbow colored ones from West Marine?

That rainbow foulweather gear might produce interesting results on Capitol Hill, but I don’t think it would work at Fishermen’s Terminal.

and make sure you have a return ticket already in hand in case you don’t find a job on a boat. how many stories have we all heard of some dreamer getting his ass all the way north to Alaska and ending up flat broke begging anyone who he knows to get him out of there or worse, ending up living in an old abandoned bus way out in the bush.

if you don’t have a plan B don’t think of going…AK is a very long way from Kansas Dorthy

2 Likes

I think the glory days are over in Alaska myself. My friends made big money up there years ago. My brother in laws brother is a purse seiner now working out of homer. now. He is doing okay but not gettiing rich.