Fisherman Jobs

Any advice to someone with no experience looking for work as a deck hand? I’m located in the (San Francisco) Bay Area, willing to go down to so cal if need be I’m seeing a lot of mixed things online. One blog says the skipper keeps a dollar bill on his wall, because “That’s why we’re here” (money). While another says not to expect to make any money, do it for the adventure Adventure sounds great, but I do have bills to pay

I became a member of this website in hopes of fishing in Alaska this summer. It costs $40. It says it is a way for skippers looking for crew members to browse through profiles and offer employment. So far after 2 months, I have not had anyone contact me. The next process they recommend is to write letters to skippers expressing your interest. I am in the middle of that process right now.

http://www.fishingjobs.com/

A deckhand on virtually all fishing industry vessels is the actual fisherman, these are almost always skill specific jobs that require lots of experience. Short of a floating processor that needs a AB in a pinch you will not get hired outside of seething like bait boy, if you don’t have expiriance.

Damn. I’m mostly going from a fisher I met in STCW, but he seemed to think I could find work walking the docks of San Diego, if not Oakland. A guy from craigslist just pointed me in the direction of an outfit called Royal Seafood in SF, that apparently likes to hire new (but he said I don’t want to be with them for long). I guess I’ll look into that. @desertrat must be a scam site

[QUOTE=bedhead;130338]Damn. I’m mostly going from a fisher I met in STCW, but he seemed to think I could find work walking the docks of San Diego, if not Oakland. A guy from craigslist just pointed me in the direction of an outfit called Royal Seafood in SF, that apparently likes to hire new (but he said I don’t want to be with them for long). I guess I’ll look into that. @desertrat must be a scam site[/QUOTE] Possibly, or possibly people aren’t looking to crew their ships for this summer just yet. I have no idea. I will let you know.

I landed two purse seining positions through that fishingjobs.com website. It’s not a scam but it is a little early for summer hiring.

Here’s the deal…
There are LOTS of folk looking to “break in” to the commercial fishing industry. Most have seen one to many episodes of [insert TV program here]. The long and short of it is that there is enough turn-around in the industry to still let greenhorns take a shot at it,
As a licensed mariner with over a decade commercial fishing experience, I can not recommend any pay site to get you onboard any vessel worth shipping on. The fact is, the good boats ie. the ones that make money, have no problem keeping the crewmen they have, if a spot opens up for some reason, the skipper has a list of guys to choose from either with experience or at least personal references.
I’m not going to list all of the companies you could visit online to apply to, there’s about a dozen and all the ones I’m familiar with are Alaska/Seattle based.
If you are serious about it, California isn’t the place to launch yourself imo, having said that, Mar. is when alot of boats head north for the REAL fishing, so if you are very lucky AND very persistant, you might be able to find a job on a squid or anchovy seiner…but don’t hold your breath. If that is your choice, these are my suggestions to maximize your chances:
Network, find ANYONE you may know who knows anyone fishing down there and hit them up. Try all your FB friends with the ultimate goal of talking to the guy on the boat. When you get to talk to that person, have your elevator speech ready, you won’t be the first guy they’ve talked to looking to get a job on their boat, of THAT be certain.
Be READY, if you are looking for something next month and they need someone yesterday, you have just wasted both of your time. Get yourself a pair of X-tra Tuffs and Grunden’s (rain gear) most everything else you can probably get on the boat. If they give you a chance, be prepared to jump before the opportunity is past.
Get a Business card. (Go to Vistaprint if you don’t already have one) While you are walking every single dock with a fishing boat on it, you should be asking if anyone is “looking for a hand”. Again, be prepared to jump onboard and grab a piece of net. If the person you are asking says no: 1) ask if they know someone who is, and 2) ask if you can leave your card. Take that opportunity to write a quick note describing your eagerness, willingness, and immediate availability. Say, “Thank you.” and shake their hand.
Repeat.
If you have ANY mechanical, electronic, hydraulic skills even better, make sure you let that be known. Most importantly remember…
…the new guy is [almost] ALWAYS the cook, an no you probably won’t get paid extra for it.
Good luck!

If you want a job here in Alaska the best way is to buy a plane ticket up here and walk the docks. Summer fishing starts in may.

Herring was going off the other day near Pt Richmond. Go walk the docks in Berkeley. Ask for work.

[QUOTE=captjamied;130344]Here’s the deal…
There are LOTS of folk looking to “break in” to the commercial fishing industry. Most have seen one to many episodes of [insert TV program here]. The long and short of it is that there is enough turn-around in the industry to still let greenhorns take a shot at it,
As a licensed mariner with over a decade commercial fishing experience, I can not recommend any pay site to get you onboard any vessel worth shipping on. The fact is, the good boats ie. the ones that make money, have no problem keeping the crewmen they have, if a spot opens up for some reason, the skipper has a list of guys to choose from either with experience or at least personal references.
I’m not going to list all of the companies you could visit online to apply to, there’s about a dozen and all the ones I’m familiar with are Alaska/Seattle based.
If you are serious about it, California isn’t the place to launch yourself imo, having said that, Mar. is when alot of boats head north for the REAL fishing, so if you are very lucky AND very persistant, you might be able to find a job on a squid or anchovy seiner…but don’t hold your breath. If that is your choice, these are my suggestions to maximize your chances:
Network, find ANYONE you may know who knows anyone fishing down there and hit them up. Try all your FB friends with the ultimate goal of talking to the guy on the boat. When you get to talk to that person, have your elevator speech ready, you won’t be the first guy they’ve talked to looking to get a job on their boat, of THAT be certain.
Be READY, if you are looking for something next month and they need someone yesterday, you have just wasted both of your time. Get yourself a pair of X-tra Tuffs and Grunden’s (rain gear) most everything else you can probably get on the boat. If they give you a chance, be prepared to jump before the opportunity is past.
Get a Business card. (Go to Vistaprint if you don’t already have one) While you are walking every single dock with a fishing boat on it, you should be asking if anyone is “looking for a hand”. Again, be prepared to jump onboard and grab a piece of net. If the person you are asking says no: 1) ask if they know someone who is, and 2) ask if you can leave your card. Take that opportunity to write a quick note describing your eagerness, willingness, and immediate availability. Say, “Thank you.” and shake their hand.
Repeat.
If you have ANY mechanical, electronic, hydraulic skills even better, make sure you let that be known. Most importantly remember…
…the new guy is [almost] ALWAYS the cook, an no you probably won’t get paid extra for it.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Good advice there. I fished commercially for 25 years most of it as a mate or captain. Head to the dock in the morning during bad weather when the boats are in. That is when you will most likely get to talk to someone. Another good time to try is after some bad weather when the boats are getting ready to head back out. If a crew member doesn’t show up and you’re ready to go you may get a job. If you go to a paid sight to find a job fishing it’s most likely going to on a boat you don’t want to be on.

Ok, thanks Capt. And, no I’m not big on tv. Just looking for maritime work without an MMC.
lemurian, I’m headed out to the docks tuesday. Wish me luck!

• Updated - - -

Ok, thanks Capt. And, no I’m not big on tv. Just looking for maritime work without an MMC.
lemurian, I’m headed out to the docks tuesday. Wish me luck!

all aspiring fisheman just want to be on t.v… FACT!

I’m just in it for an excuse to get sailor tattoos