2 New US Flagged ships!

Reported today:

“Norfolk-based Maersk Line Ltd. and Rickmers-Linie (America) Inc. have formed a partnership that will use two new multipurpose ships, [U]operating under the U.S. flag[/U], to serve customers that need to move especially heavy cargoes worldwide.”
“The two new ships - the Maersk Illinois and the Maersk Texas - are 19,000 deadweight ton vessels. They’re twice the average size of U.S. flag multipurpose vessels now in operation, according to a statement released by the companies.”
“The service will operate as Maersk-Rickmers U.S. Flag Project Carrier, or simply Maersk-Rickmers.”

Full article at: http://gcaptain.com/maersk-line-limited-rickmers-linie?31268

What unions will be on these?

[QUOTE=Mate;55488]What unions will be on these?[/QUOTE] I am certain that they’ll be AMO.

I hope you’re wrong c Captain. I know MMP has some Maersk ships. the Alabama for one.

MMP has all but ~3 of the Maersk liners. AMO has the MSC contracts; tankers ect. I would guess unless the ships were to be added to the maritime security program, MMP doesn’t have a chance at getting them.

It’s AMO

Maersk Line, Limited and Rickmers-Linie (America) Inc. on Monday announced a partnership that will bring two newly-built multi-purpose cargo ships under the U.S.-flag, providing new jobs for members of American Maritime Officers and new tonnage to the U.S.-flag project cargo fleet.

The new 19,000 deadweight ton ships, Maersk Illinois and Maersk Texas, each have combined maximum lift of 480 metric tons. The service will operate as Maersk-Rickmers U.S. Flag Project Carrier, Maersk-Rickmers for short. AMO will represent all licensed officers working aboard both ships.

“This investment demonstrates the confidence of the companies in U.S.-flag markets and in the professionalism and capabilities of AMO officers,” said AMO National President Tom Bethel. “The re-flagging of these new ships is exciting news for the AMO membership and for the U.S.-flag maritime industry. I congratulate the companies on their achievement and we look forward to working with them on the new project cargo ships.”

The ships are currently under the Marshall Islands flag and are preparing for their maiden voyages. In November, the vessels are scheduled to complete the process to bring both under the U.S. flag.

“The introduction of these vessels further signals Maersk Line, Limited’s long-term commitment to the U.S. flag,” said MLL President and CEO John Reinhart. “The partnership with Rickmers forms a strong team that will deliver outstanding service to shippers worldwide.”

Via AMO http://www.amo-union.net/article.php?a=1259