2 A/E trying to get DDE Unlimited and Chief OSV endorsement

So I’ve searched the internet a bunch and even this forum and have found some useful information, however never quite a straight forward answer. The company I work for has told me that I should get my Chief OSV endorsement to get a recent raise throughout the company. In order to get that Chief OSV endorsement I need my DDE unlimited. The are telling me that they will provide me with the necessary documentation for me to simply walk into a licensing center, apply for the DDE and Chief OSV endorsements, and I will be able to get it. What I am wondering is if that is precisely the case? Or is it never just that simple and I’m gonna have to go back and take a test that covers less material than the original exam I passed for my 3rd/2nds exam in order to graduate from the academy?

Thanks for any info on the matter.

Go to CFR at National maritime center website and there is the chart for equivalent crossover ratings

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=6e7ccdc99d9d7f0a04432a27ccaa38d3;rgn=div5;view=text;node=46%3A1.0.1.2.11;idno=46;cc=ecfr#46:1.0.1.2.11.2.7.1

The only place I’ve ever actually seen it written is in the D&E exam guide as a note on the exam sheet.

If your original exams were the 3/2 exam and you didn’t have to take a test to upgrade to 2nd the. You will have to test again for DDE any HP. If you had to test to upgrade to 2nd then you can get the DDE AHP without testing.

The Chief OSV should come with the DDE without further testing whenever you get that.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;88818]The only place I’ve ever actually seen it written is in the D&E exam guide as a note on the exam sheet.

If your original exams were the 3/2 exam and you didn’t have to take a test to upgrade to 2nd the. You will have to test again for DDE any HP. If you had to test to upgrade to 2nd then you can get the DDE AHP without testing.

The Chief OSV should come with the DDE without further testing whenever you get that.[/QUOTE]

I did take the 3rd/2nd combined exam…however I’ve heard from many kids that are in the same position that I am who have simply walked into the RECs and asked for the endorsement and gotten it without further testing.

It appears it is one of those “depends on who you get” situations at the REC, because I know at least one case of this to be true. The engineer I work with did just that, walked in when he had his 2 A/E already, and told them he needed the DDE and Chief OSV endorsements and they gave them to him without him having to test.

That was 2 years ago he did that…could that be why that happened?

Is it something new having to supposedly test for your DDE unlimited if you took the 3rd/2nd exam?

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;88818]The only place I’ve ever actually seen it written is in the D&E exam guide as a note on the exam sheet.

The Chief OSV should come with the DDE without further testing whenever you get that.[/QUOTE]

I did take the 3rd/2nd combined exam…however I’ve heard from many kids that are in the same position that I am who have simply walked into the RECs and asked for the endorsement and gotten it without further testing.

It appears it is one of those “depends on who you get” situations at the REC, because I know at least one case of this to be true. The engineer I work with did just that, walked in when he had his 2 A/E already, and told them he needed the DDE and Chief OSV endorsements and they gave them to him without him having to test.

Is it something new having to supposedly test for your DDE unlimited if you took the 3rd/2nd exam?

Is testing to get your DDE something new?

The engineer that I work with took the combined 3/2 AE test and just walked into the REC and got the DDE added a little over a year ago.

Is there a big difference between the DDE Limited and Unlimited test? I’m using Sea Sources to study and they only have DDE Limited test available.

[QUOTE=KPGulfer;89581]Is testing to get your DDE something new? The engineer that I work with took the combined 3/2 AE test and just walked into the REC and got the DDE added a little over a year ago. Is there a big difference between the DDE Limited and Unlimited test? I’m using Sea Sources to study and they only have DDE Limited test available.[/QUOTE]

There is a difference indeed. The DDE exam is not as extensive as the 3/2 combined exam. I hold a 3rd A/E and had the same problem, which I was told I needed to test for. Personally I rather test for my chief oceans than test down to get an OSV endoresment. But as it goes for your co-workers I’ve heard the same stories. I have a co-worker that simply applied for his license to test and instead of receieving a letter to test he simply receieved a licensed. If you don’t have any luck perhaps you can send the REC a strongly worded letter. Then again I believe the DDE endorsement is on the chopping block in the not to distant future if not already. Best of luck.

DDE unlimited has electrical, DDE limited doesn’t What did your coworkers get Limited or U/L? You can get DDE limited just for the asking with a 3rd.

Just wanted to update my situation. So I ended up applying and handing in the necessary forms my company told me to in order to not have to test. I am out to sea right now but just got an email from the USCG or NMC or whatever telling me that my application passed all evaluations and is ready for issuance. They sent me this email for both “domestic” and international" endorsements. I’m not really sure what that means, but I’m hoping that everything that I applied for is included in the issuance of my upgraded license.

So just to clarify…I had my 3 A/E Unlimited, and took the 3/2 combined A/E test to graduate. On my application, I applied for DDE Unlimited, Chief OSV, and an upgrade to 2 A/E unlimited.

The emails I received are copied below:

Important information concerning your credential “DOMESTIC ENDORSEMENT, Reference Number: xxxxx and Application ID: xxxxx” from the National Maritime Center.

Your application has completed the evaluation process and is approved for issuance. Unless you provided the Coast Guard with a request for delayed issuance, you should receive notification within one business day indicating that the credential was issued.

Important information concerning your credential “INTERNATIONAL ENDORSEMENT, Reference Number: xxxxxx and Application ID: xxxxxxx” from the National Maritime Center.

Your application has completed the evaluation process and is approved for issuance. Unless you provided the Coast Guard with a request for delayed issuance, you should receive notification within one business day indicating that the credential was issued.

Does anyone know if they weren’t going to give me the DDE Unlimited and Chief OSV without testing, would they have sent me an email saying so, or just not include them in the new issued license I’m getting?

Thanks