1981 American Practical Navigator Volume II

Does anyone know of a PDF copy and where to download it for the old Vol. II (green) Bowditch?

Sure would be handy for studying while at work.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

[QUOTE=Tugz;40615]Does anyone know of a PDF copy and where to download it for the old Vol. II (green) Bowditch?

Sure would be handy for studying while at work.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen[/QUOTE]

You can download individual tables or the entire publication from NGA. The “green” bowditch, volume II, is what will be in the testing room, but the tables are the tables - just check the index. Green, or Blue doesn’t matter.

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_apn_sections.html?rid=187

[QUOTE=anchorman;40620]You can download individual tables or the entire publication from NGA. The “green” bowditch, volume II, is what will be in the testing room, but the tables are the tables - just check the index. Green, or Blue doesn’t matter.

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_apn_sections.html?rid=187[/QUOTE]

The table numbers have been reordered in the newest edition, so it is a pain to go back and forth, and a pain to lug back and forth. Not exactly “light” reading. The 1981 ed. is the “green” one I was looking for.

Thanks for the link.

[QUOTE=Tugz;40639]The table numbers have been reordered in the newest edition, so it is a pain to go back and forth, and a pain to lug back and forth. Not exactly “light” reading. The 1981 ed. is the “green” one I was looking for.

Thanks for the link.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, the new edition is a little different in order, but the tables are the same. There is no CG question that tells you a table number, and trying to memorize the number of the table will not help you in any way. Don’t even put numbers to the table -That tells you nothing - Use the title of what you are doing, “Amplitudes”, “Distance of an object from two bearings”, etc… It can be lettered in one book and numbered in another. Who cares? There is an index in the front and the index goes as far as explaining how to use each table and tells what page it’s on. If you are have problems with that, you just need more study - that should be second nature at some point, but “if” you feel the absolute need, the only place to get the book is http://www.sandwichship.com/books.shtml for about 53 bucks, or use the free ones with the different numbered index.

I have ordered from sandwichshop.com several times and there customer service has been GREAT.

If you want to purchase a few used copies in good condition give the Chamblin Bookmine in Jacksonville Fl a call. That is where I got mine a few years ago and they always seem to have a few lying around and I know they are much less than 50$.

Get it on disk from American Nautical

My favorite, by far, is the Black edition. It is identical to the green edition but much thinner. But, as far as I know, it can only be purchased at the King’s Point bookstore (maybe they will mail one to you if you call).

We had them at Schuyler a few years ago - and they will definitely mail you stuff.

WWW.idbs.com

You can download Bowditch chapter by chapter, it is in pdf.