1600t Master to 3rd Mate

IF you received a 1600t mates after 2003, you can upgrade to 3rd mate with the correct sea time and tonnage. The USCG combined the questions from the OLD 2nd,3rd,and 1600t mates into one question bank that the test is drawn from. SO if you past the 1600t mates test after 2003, then you passed the same test as a third mate passes to get that license. There was no DUMBING down, They made it harder to receive a mates ticket than it was when there was 3 separate tests of varying difficulty. IF you didn’t take the mates test after 2003 but have a 1600t Master then you will have to take the new mates test to receive 3rd Mate

Does anybody how long can you keep your stcw assesments certificates,for how long are they good for before you go test at the coast guard

[QUOTE=Marino94;19912]Does anybody how long can you keep your stcw assesments certificates,for how long are they good for before you go test at the coast guard[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think they could expire (assessments). There are a few courses that could, especially if they’re approved for meeting testing requirements, etc.

The assessments do not expire. As already noted, some of the courses might (BST, Radar, Advanced Fire Fighting, Tankerman-PIC…)

I was asked this question by a co-worker who is working on a US flagged vessel with a chief mate unlimited (UK license). Can the foreign CM sign off on the assessments for OICNW? I did find 46 CFR 10.304(g)(7):

[LEFT]“The identity of each designated examiner, when any assessment of competence is recorded, including any Coast Guard license or document held, and the examiner’s signature confirming that his or her initials certify
that he or she has witnessed the practical demonstration of a particular task or skill by the candidate.”[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The CM is STCW qualified, but not USCG. Guess I am being lazy in not spending some time to thoroughly research this question for him.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Any input to relay to him will be much appreciated.[/LEFT]

Words of wisdom from Mr. Cavo?

[I]“US flagged vessel with a chief mate unlimited (UK license).” [/I]

Wow, I didn’t know that was possible!

[quote=Jeffrox;21396][I]“US flagged vessel with a chief mate unlimited (UK license).” [/I]

Wow, I didn’t know that was possible![/quote]

US 1600 Master with foreign deck officers. Not actually acting as CM O/B.

Have you received an answer? I have a 1600T Master Oceans and I’d like to get the 3rd mate unlimited. Please let me know.

Apply for Master AGT Inland, test for that and get it. From there you can apply for 2/M Unlimited Oceans, and skip 3/M altogether.

Hey Doug, That Master AGT Inland you are talking about, is that the same license as Master of Towing Vessels Oceans and Western Rivers? To my knowledge Oceans covers Inland and Great Lakes. But my MOTV does not say AGT. Are you talking about a different animal altogether?

Different animal altogether. It is an unlimited tonnage Mate and Master’s license that the Washington State Ferries deck officers get. There is a variation called Master AGT Inland and Great Lakes that the GLMA guys get.

If you hold either one, you can apply and test for 2/M Unlimited Oceans.

If you have Master 1600 tons Oceans or Near Coastal, you can apply for Master AGT Inand (and Great Lakes, depending on seatime) and then use the crossover to 2/M oceans. I’m in the middle of that game of hopscotch myself right now. Approved to test for Master AGT Inland at this point.

[quote=dougpine;21544]Different animal altogether. It is an unlimited tonnage Mate and Master’s license that the Washington State Ferries deck officers get. There is a variation called Master AGT Inland and Great Lakes that the GLMA guys get.

If you hold either one, you can apply and test for 2/M Unlimited Oceans.

If you have Master 1600 tons Oceans or Near Coastal, you can apply for Master AGT Inand (and Great Lakes, depending on seatime) and then use the crossover to 2/M oceans. I’m in the middle of that game of hopscotch myself right now. Approved to test for Master AGT Inland at this point.[/quote]

Ok, I kind of figured that would be your answer since you hold a MOTV and would have taken advantage of the loophole if you could…Thanks

I have a question, I was reading the policy letter 01-02 and in it it states that if you hold a 500 GT or 1600 GT license on sea service acquired after Aug. 1998 you can get a 3rd mate unlimited with the proper sea time and no further testing. Is this true?

D, I don’t know what kind of license you hold as your “about me” part of your profile is not completed yet but what you should do is go back to the beginning of this thread and read all the posts and your question will be answered…

I went back and read it again and there isn’t any clear answer. One post quotes 01-02 another corrects it and another disputes the correction. Is there any simple answer on how to go from a 1600 T master ocean to 3rd mate unlimited? I read the sea time requirement in the CFR’s, hopefully that hasn’t changed, no problem there.

You now know what we know…sorry you re-read all the posts and the answer was ambiguous, but that is what we have had to deal with for a while now. The only real option is to apply and when your evaluator is assigned to you…deal with him or her and don’t take no for an answer. I am sure your take on the policies are the same as many of us. You just have to convince the evaluator that, as per the written policy, you qualify and here is why…perhaps some of the folks on this forum can suggest other options, and perhaps things will be easier for you because of some of the b.s. we have had to deal with. All I can say is stick to your guns if you truly want that license. Sorry if my post is not of help…Steve.

Depends on if and when you sat for Mate 500/1600. If you took this test after 2/1/02, the test you took is the same as for 3rd Mate, and you would not have to test. If you took the test before 2/1/02, or have never taken it, you have not been tested in all of the subjects required by 46 CFR 11.910 (formerly 46 CFR 10.910) and must take the 3rd Mate exam.

I see you stressed MATE. What about the Master 1600T test after 2-02?

[QUOTE=Capt D;21619]I see you stressed MATE. What about the Master 1600T test after 2-02?[/QUOTE]

NMC interprets the policy letter as meaning Mate, and as Jim Cavo pointed out, after 2/02 the tests for 1600, 3rd Mate & 2nd Mate are the exact same.

You have the Master 1600, so you will either need to go the backdoor route a la Doug Pine (apply for Inland Unlimited Master, test, then apply for 2nd Mate), or you will need to accrue the required time on vessels over 1599 tons.

The bigger issue will be assessments and OICNW courses and those are all predicated on when you began your sea time and if you got a 500 or 1600 ton Mate / STCW endorsement before 2/02.

Really, really unsatisfying answer for you, but Steve Foster has the most legitimate advice. Submit and see what they say. Steve fought the law, and Steve won, so it’s advice well worth listening to…

[I][quote=Capt D;21619]I see you stressed MATE. What about the Master 1600T test after 2-02?[/quote][/I]

The issue is whether you have been tested in all of the subjects a 3rd Mate is required to be tested on by 46 CFR 11.910. After 2/1/02, the Mate 500/1600 and 3rd Mate tests were the same, thus that is the relevant test/date. There are subjects required for 3rd Mate that are not on the Master 1600 test.