1600 ton near coastal

I study at SUNY and I’m trying to get my 1600 ton near coastal license. I’ve done well with accumulating my sea days and I have only 90 more to go. I requested to return to Kirby Inland Marine for this summer, as I loved the time spent down there(last summer I did 45 on the TSES and 45 at Kirby). However, I was told I could not do anymore of my sea time inland. When asked why, I was told that you were required to split your sea time between inland and oceans to receive the requirements to sit for near coastal. Has anyone else heard of this? I thought it was fishy that I couldn’t do more rivers. Please help me to shed some light on this, thanks a bunch in advance.

You can only use inland seatime for half of your near coastal license seatime requirements. Look at the NMC checklists or read the rules in the CFRs and NAVICS.

Thanks for the reply, I figured but I just wanted to double check.

Kirby has a growing offshore fleet that might be worth exploring.

[QUOTE=kosull.88;153164]Kirby has a growing offshore fleet that might be worth exploring.[/QUOTE]

I think I might do that. I’d like to see what Kirby is like offshore Thanks for the reply

[QUOTE=murrrphh;153323]I think I might do that. I’d like to see what Kirby is like offshore Thanks for the reply[/QUOTE]

I would too. I’ve been contacted a couple times but had no luck with follow-ups as of yet.

Bouchard and Vane are hiring.