1600 ton master

Hi im new to gcaptain, and was wondering how many sea days would be needed to up the tonnage from 1600 tons master oceans to unlimited tons master oceans. I would also like to know where in the cfrs i can find this as well.

Thanks
Erik

[QUOTE=EHmarine;18595]Hi im new to gcaptain, and was wondering how many sea days would be needed to up the tonnage from 1600 tons master oceans to unlimited tons master oceans. I would also like to know where in the cfrs i can find this as well.

Thanks
Erik[/QUOTE]

There is no way to go from 1600 ton Master straight to Master unlimited.

46 CFR 10.403 has the Yellow Brick Road

Actually, it is all in 46 CFR 11 now. Click here for the online link.

Surely this is a joke post … please tell me it is.

If this guy is already a 1600 ton master shouldn’t this be as disturbing to you Sons of Magellan as the post from the shipbuilder asking about USCG maneuvering data?

I mean, how does one get to 1600 ton master with such little knowledge of the licensing structure and how to read the CFRs?

[quote=Steamer;18616]Surely this is a joke post … please tell me it is.

If this guy is already a 1600 ton master shouldn’t this be as disturbing to you Sons of Magellan as the post from the shipbuilder asking about USCG maneuvering data?

I mean, how does one get to 1600 ton master with such little knowledge of the licensing structure and how to read the CFRs?[/quote]

I’m sure you noticed where the question was posted.

[quote=Steamer;18616]Surely this is a joke post … please tell me it is.

I mean, how does one get to 1600 ton master with such little knowledge of the licensing structure and how to read the CFRs?[/quote]

He doesn’t say he is a 1600 ton Master, he’s just asking a question.

I will refrain from further comment.

“Further comment” implies that you have previously commented on the topic. Is there something you think you are saying?

[QUOTE=Steamer;18686]“Further comment” implies that you have previously commented on the topic. Is there something you think you are saying?[/QUOTE]

That’s funny. Regardless of what it implied, or thought it implied, it was certainly rhetorical.

Thank you A/M. At least you got it. It meant further [I][U]collective comment. [/U][/I]By the way, I just left a big greasy Steamer in the toilet.:smiley:

Actually, at one time it was possible. Back in 1978 to 1982 I sailed as Bos’n on the Jamie A. Baxter, an ITB. I was a plank owner as we were involved in the building of the Tug in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin during it’s last six months in the shipyard there. The barge was built in Avondale Shipyard New Orleans and we sailed the tug down the East Coast for the mating of the Tug and barge. Weirdest looking tug you ever saw without the barge. It was owned by CF Industries. Twelve man crew. Back then ITBs were considered Unlimited Tonnage because when mated the total length was just under 700 ft. No towing winch, i.e., ITB. All the officers had to have unlimited licenses, deck and engineroom. When the Master, Stanton Deal, was hired he had a 1000 ton Ocean Freight and Towing license. C F Industries requested to the CG that he be issued an Unlimited Master’s License to run Master of the Jamie A. Baxter. The CG allowed Captain Deal to test for Unlimited Ocean Master with the stipulation that upon passing the test he be issued an Unlimited Master License for that vessel only but after one year’s seatime on that vessel he be issued an Unlimited Ocean Master for any vessels. We worked 30/30 so after 2 years he received his Unlimited Oceans Master of any vessels.
I quoted this precedent to the CG when making application for a 3rd Mate Unlimited requesting that I receive at least a 2nd Mate Unlimited but to no avail. I guess it was a one time thing.
By the way Captain Deal passed all the tests required first sitting except one…he failed the flashing light 22 times before passing on the 23rd try. We were all issued flash cards by the company and any time we would see him in the galley or a hallway we were to test him…he avoided us like the plague to the point of having the galley hand bring him his meals to his stateroom…

That’s funny…gross and not nice but funny…:eek:

It appears that leaving crap behind is the best you can do. Was there something you were trying to say before that last example?

Jesus. You’re like a dog with a bone. He made at statement about not making at statement. Kinda funny to me, but quite rhetorical. Your asking for blood out of a turnip, once again.

No doubt! Easy on the criticism. I was a little over the top with that last one, but it was funny. Your username was just begging for it. My appologies. Can we cease this discussion now?