100 ton to DDE?

Here’s my deal. I’m on my second issue 100 ton NC.

For the past few years I’ve been working as an engineer. I actually enjoy the engine room better, so I’m going to apply for my DDE.

I have enough time in the engine room to qualify for the Any Horsepower rating.

SO… My questions are:

1. Will there be any problems with me keeping my 100 ton license down the road?

2. Do I need to be re-oathed and get three new character reference letters?

3. Since I already hold a deck officers license, is it treated as an original, raise in grade, or change in scope?

4. Will I receive a completely different MMC for the engineering license?

5. Can I apply for Assistant Limited at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

There is no problem keeping your 100 ton. Seperate licenses were issued before the MMC. Now it’s all on one credential. Mr. Cavo may chime in with all the particulars. Set for “any and all” that you have qualifying time for as soon as you can. More requirements will be heaped on in the near future. Good luck!

[I][QUOTE=Meats;37527]1) Will there be any problems with me keeping my 100 ton license down the road?[/QUOTE][/I]
No.
[I][QUOTE=Meats;37527]2) Do I need to be re-oathed and get three new character reference letters?[/QUOTE][/I]
No.
[I][QUOTE=Meats;37527]3) Since I already hold a deck officers license, is it treated as an original, raise in grade, or change in scope? [/QUOTE][/I]
Original. It’s your first engine license.
[I][QUOTE=Meats;37527]4) Will I receive a completely different MMC for the engineering license?[/QUOTE][/I]
Not positive, but I think you will have one MMC. I will check and revise if needed.
[I][QUOTE=Meats;37527]5) Can I apply for Assistant Limited at the same time?[/QUOTE][/I]
Yes. But you have to meet the requirements for an original issue of that license. (You can apply for anything, whether you get it is a different question)

Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated!

Question retracted.

My question is: if/when Meat does this, and he sailed exclusively in the engine dept, will the 100 ton license become inactive? how about at renewal? Will he have to show a sea service letter with time on deck, as well as in the ER? will his license be renewed with only one type of seatime but be valid for wheelhouse too? (or Visa versa.) or would the ‘other’ license be renewed for continuity only?

just curious

5 1/2 years ago for renewal of Chief Motor and 100 ton, I submitted random drug screen letter, physical, C/E discharges and cg-719. They handed me back the 719 saying I didn’t need it.

This year for renewal, I had to show drug screen, physical, C/E discharges, CG-719 (showing time on vessels over 20 ft) and loads and discharges to keep my PIC.

[I][QUOTE=cappy208;37598]My question is: if/when Meat does this, and he sailed exclusively in the engine dept, will the 100 ton license become inactive? how about at renewal? Will he have to show a sea service letter with time on deck, as well as in the ER? will his license be renewed with only one type of seatime but be valid for wheelhouse too? (or Visa versa.) or would the ‘other’ license be renewed for continuity only?just curious[/QUOTE][/I]

It will definitely not go to continuity as a matter of course. Any license can be renewed without sea service, the only difference is that if there is no qualifying recent service, you need to take an at-home, open book test. Also, the requirements for renewal (46 CFR 10.227) only specify “evidence of at least one year of sea service during the past five years.” I can’t speculate how that would be interpreted, but a plausible argument could be made that it doesn’t matter in what capacity or on what type or size of vessel you obtained the service.

I’ve included the relevant CFR cites below. I have an upper level deck license (2/M unlimited oceans). I have no time in the engine room. I would like to get my DDE 1000.One year of sea time in the engine room is required and 6 months must be as QMED for a DDE 1000. From what I could gather from the CFR’s 6 months of my deck time could be used towards getting this license. How would this play out? Would I have to sail 6 months as wiper to be eligible to sit for QMED and then do 6 months as QMED? Where does the deck time come into play? Thanks

Title 46: Shipping
PART 11-REQUIREMENTS FOR OFFICER ENDORSEMENTS
Subpart E-Professional Requirements for Engineer Officer
§ 11.504 Application of deck service for limited engineer endorsements.
Service gained in the deck department on vessels of appropriate tonnage may substitute for up to 25 percent or 6 months, whichever is less, of the service requirement for an endorsement as chief engineer (limited), assistant engineer (limited), or designated duty engineer.
[Title 46: Shipping
PART 11-REQUIREMENTS FOR OFFICER ENDORSEMENTS
Subpart E-Professional Requirements for Engineer Officer
§ 11.524 Service requirements for designated duty engineer of steam and/or motor vessels.
(a) DDE endorsements are issued in three levels of horsepower limitations dependent upon the total service of the applicant and completion of appropriate examination. These MMCs are limited to vessels of not more than 500 gross tons on certain waters as specified in §11.501 of this part.
(b) The service requirements for endorsements as DDE are:
(1) For designated duty engineer of steam and/or motor vessels of any horsepower, the applicant must have three years of service in the engineroom. Eighteen months of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent supervisory position.
(2) For designated duty engineer of steam and/or motor vessels of not more than 4,000 horsepower, the applicant must have two years of service in the engineroom. One year of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent supervisory position.
(3) For designated duty engineer of steam and/or motor vessels of not more than 1,000 horsepower, the applicant must have one year of service in the engineroom. Six months of this service must have been as a qualified member of the engine department or equivalent supervisory position.