100 ton nc to 200 ton nc sea time explained

Can someone tell me what the sea time requirements are for 100 ton nc to 200 ton nc master? I have received more than one answer from even the coast gaurd, exam centers , etc.

Is it 720 total days since your last upgrade in tonnage, with 360 as master, with 180 on vessels over 150 GT?

or 90 on vessels over 150 GT

It is not possible to upgrade from 100 ton master to 200 ton master. I was trying to do so for a while and kept getting the runaround on what to do. You either have to go to 150 ton master then get a little more seatime on a very specific tonnage level vessel or go to 200 ton mate aand get some more seatime then go to 200 master.

Seatime wise, it is much easier to go straight from 100 master to 500 master, but then you have to deal with stcw which is very expensive and time consuming.

you can go from a 100 to 200 as long as you have X amount of days on a vessel over 100 gross tons

Even more confused…

And it really doesn’t help that they don’t offer a check off list for that particular level, on the NMC site…for GL and inland they do though, interesting…

You have to dig into the CFR’s…try 11.426 to start with but also look in part 10 as well…

I’m trying to remember how I did this but I went from a 50 Ton master NC …after a year of sailing on that , I landed on a 290 ton vessel, after 90 days recency, I bumped that up to a 100 Ton master and added a 200 Ton Mate as well, of course you have to take the 100-200 Ton upgrade course and pass applicable modules…
FYI, adding the mate was only 45 days on the larger vessel, BTW

You know who is really up on this, is Dennis, at Columbia Pacific Maritime…
His cirriculum is centered in this particular area…Don’t have his number handy but google columbia pacific maritime in Portland ,Ore…

Thanks Shellback!

I found that for a 200 ton master nc, you need 720 days with 360 days as master/mate. Now tonnage dictates you need 25% of the REQUIRED sea time to be appropriate tonnage (150+ ton for 200).

The question is, 25% of total time (720 days) or 25% of required lic. time (360 days)?

Yes, I emailed NMC as to where checkoff list was for my master 200 nc…

I have received answers from nmc by phone, as well as my local USCG REC who both said 90 days over 150 ton.

The local school as well as other info I have gathered says 180 days 150+ ton…

Just trying to get it straight to upgrade before they change rules on us in July

Greef

Post July is going to be fucking MESS! They dont even know their own rules now. How the hell are they going to figure out the new rules? Also I read some letter from NMC saying it was going to take AT LEAST 2 years to fully impliment the new rules. I’m happy I upgraded earlier this month and got all my endorsements! :cool:

Got this off sea school,planning too upgrade also next month.
[B][B]UPGRADE[/B]
[B]to MASTER 150 or 200 GRT[/B]
[B]from Master 25, 50 or 100GRT[/B][/B]

[B]This is a U.S. Coast Guard approved 36 Hour Upgrade Course to[/B]
[B]Master/Mate of vessels not more than 200 Gross Tons, Near Coastal.[/B]
[B]The 200 Gross Registry Tons (GRT) is U.S. Domestic Tonnage which[/B]
[B]is equivalent to 500 Gross Tons International Tonnage Convention (ITC).[/B]
[B]This course is approved by the Coast Guard for those with U.S. Coast Guard licenses[/B]
[B]of Master or Mate of vessels of not more than 200 Gross Tons/500 Gross Tons (ITC), Near Coastal.[/B]
[B]The Coast Guard’s tonnage and experience requirements to upgrade to a[/B]
[B]Master or Mate 200 GRT are as follows:[/B]

<CENTER><TABLE border=1 borderColor=#ffffff width=“70%” height=238><TBODY><TR><TD height=24 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT]B Show 90 days of vessel experience in the last 3 years.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=48 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT]B For Near Coastal, show 1 year (360 8 hour days) of the service, as a master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license as a master, or as a mate.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=72 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT]B For Inland or Great Lakes, show 6 months (180 8 hour days) of the service, as a master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license as a master, or as a mate.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=70 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT][B]Note: To obtain authority to serve on the Great Lakes, 3 months of the required service must have been on the Great Lakes, otherwise your license will be limited to to Inland waters of the U.S.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE border=1 width=“65%”><TBODY><TR><TD width=“100%” colSpan=3>[B]Master or Mate Near Coastal 200GRT/500ITC[/B]
[CENTER][B](8 Hour Days)[/B]

[/CENTER]
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 50-100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]90 days is over 100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 150 GRT[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 50-100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]180 days is over 50 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 150 GRT[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 150 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]90 days is over 150 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 200 GRT[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 150 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]180 days is over 100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 200 GRT[/B]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>
[B]If you can only get a 150 GRT license, to get the tonnage increased to 200 GRT the following is required:[/B]
[B]Mate License: At least 45 days of additional service on deck of a vessel of a higher tonnage.[/B]
[B]Master License: At least 90 days of additional service on deck of a vessel or a higher tonnage.[/B]

I know this can be a bit confusing,but the lady at the school explain to me if you have x amount of days over 150 tons on vessel and x amount of days as master you can get your 200 ton master.when I first got my 100 ton master(or rather after I got it),I was working as a/b unl.on a vessel that was 1500+ tons,I sailed on it for 205.5 12hour days,=308 days,then broke off as capt on crew&utilityboats,with 390-12hour days=(585) and counting.which she said would be plenty of time for my 200 ton master.so hopefully shes right.

Kingfisher I would be interested in that CG letter if you have the reference.

All,

I emailed Dennis at Columbia Pacific Maritime, and here is his reply. I think I am a lot clearer now.

Thanks, Hope it helps, if not email him too.

The requirements for Master 200 ton are often confused because two CFR parts need to be referenced.

The sea service requirements for Master 200 ton near coastal are contained in 46 CFR 10.426 and state that you need two years of total sea service. One year of the required service must have been as master or mate while holding a license.

The tonnage formula for licenses of less than 200 tons is contained in 46 CFR 10.422 and states that the tonnage limitations will be issued in 50 ton increments, rounded up. The limitation will be either the maximum tonnage that 25% of the qualifying experience was on or 150% of the maximum tonnage that 50% of the qualifying experience was on. Since two years of qualifying experience is required that means you need either 180 days on vessels over 150 tons OR 360 days on a vessel over 100 tons to qualify for a Master 200 ton license.

If you don’t have experience for a Master 200 ton you can qualify for a Master 150 ton near coastal with either 180 days on vessels over 100 tons or 360 days on vessels over 67 tons.

Note also that only one year of the qualifying experience must have been as master or mate while holding a license. This experience could have been on a 20 foot pleasure craft while the experience on the larger vessel could have been as a deckhand. There is no requirement that any of the qualifying experience be as master or mate of vessels over 100 tons.

The course I offer is four days ($600) and will satisfy the USCG exam requirements for upgrading a Master 100 ton near coastal license to master 200 tons near coastal. Anyone who qualifies for the license can self study and take the exams at the REC. The benefit of taking the class is you are finished in four days.

Good Sailing,

Dennis
Home Page: http://ColumbiaPacificMaritime.com
News Page: http://MaritimeNews.ColumbiaPacificMaritime.com

(503) 841-6066 business
(503) 841-5086 fax
(503) 440-9005 cell

I knew Dennis could say it better than I ever could…Good luck …

[QUOTE=TxKingfisher;27977]Post July is going to be fucking MESS! They dont even know their own rules now. How the hell are they going to figure out the new rules? Also I read some letter from NMC saying it was going to take AT LEAST 2 years to fully impliment the new rules. I’m happy I upgraded earlier this month and got all my endorsements! :cool:[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your upgrade!

Thanks Diesel!

[QUOTE=maddsailor;27980]Got this off sea school,planning too upgrade also next month.
[B][B]UPGRADE[/B]
[B]to MASTER 150 or 200 GRT[/B]
[B]from Master 25, 50 or 100GRT[/B][/B]

[B]This is a U.S. Coast Guard approved 36 Hour Upgrade Course to[/B]
[B]Master/Mate of vessels not more than 200 Gross Tons, Near Coastal.[/B]
[B]The 200 Gross Registry Tons (GRT) is U.S. Domestic Tonnage which[/B]
[B]is equivalent to 500 Gross Tons International Tonnage Convention (ITC).[/B]
[B]This course is approved by the Coast Guard for those with U.S. Coast Guard licenses[/B]
[B]of Master or Mate of vessels of not more than 200 Gross Tons/500 Gross Tons (ITC), Near Coastal.[/B]
[B]The Coast Guard’s tonnage and experience requirements to upgrade to a[/B]
[B]Master or Mate 200 GRT are as follows:[/B]

<CENTER><TABLE border=1 borderColor=#ffffff width=“70%” height=238><TBODY><TR><TD height=24 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT]B Show 90 days of vessel experience in the last 3 years.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=48 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT]B For Near Coastal, show 1 year (360 8 hour days) of the service, as a master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license as a master, or as a mate.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=72 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT]B For Inland or Great Lakes, show 6 months (180 8 hour days) of the service, as a master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license as a master, or as a mate.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=70 width=“100%” align=left>[LEFT][B]Note: To obtain authority to serve on the Great Lakes, 3 months of the required service must have been on the Great Lakes, otherwise your license will be limited to to Inland waters of the U.S.[/B][/LEFT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

<CENTER><TABLE border=1 width=“65%”><TBODY><TR><TD width=“100%” colSpan=3>[B]Master or Mate Near Coastal 200GRT/500ITC[/B]
[CENTER][B](8 Hour Days)[/B]

[/CENTER]
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 50-100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]90 days is over 100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 150 GRT[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 50-100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]180 days is over 50 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 150 GRT[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 150 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]90 days is over 150 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 200 GRT[/B]</TD></TR><TR><TD width=“33%” align=middle>[B]If holding 150 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“35%” align=middle>[B]180 days is over 100 GRT[/B]</TD><TD width=“29%” align=middle>[B]will get 200 GRT[/B]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>
[B]If you can only get a 150 GRT license, to get the tonnage increased to 200 GRT the following is required:[/B]
[B]Mate License: At least 45 days of additional service on deck of a vessel of a higher tonnage.[/B]
[B]Master License: At least 90 days of additional service on deck of a vessel or a higher tonnage.[/B][/QUOTE]
Be careful, the information you got from Sea School’s website is not accurate regarding sea service and tonnage to upgrade to 200GRT.
Go to website: www.qualitymaritime.info Select the “USCG Requirements” button and click on Master/Mate 200GRT