Where did the term "hooked up" (meaning full throttle) come from?

[QUOTE=captrob;124330]… tickled shitless…[/QUOTE]

I’m going to have to use that one from now one. Thanks!

[QUOTE=justaboatdriver;124199]I know! The old Graham boats I used to run had cable throttles. As some of you know, over the years cables can stretch and it can be difficult to force those throttles down to the dash for extra RPM’s. A solution that was created was to put metal hooks screwed to the dash. Once you put the throttles down, you would just hook the handles and viola! No longer would you have to worry about those pesky RPM’s slipping away!

Note: not a strictly legal mod[/QUOTE]

That’s what I always thought “hooked up” meant.

Thirty years or so ago, I decked on the very old (1892) tug “Pinners Point” here in Baltimore. She had a couple of 8-71s (inline) in her and a cable throttle system

Sure enough, in her wheelhouse, screen door hooks on the console.

One of the captains also had another device. It was a block of wood he used to jam under the window ledge and across the top of the throttle.

Written on this block of wood in magic marker was; ONE BELL THROTTLE REGULATOR.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;124202]Well that’s the only damn explanation I’ve heard on here that makes any sense at all. I’d say that about does it. Anyone care to raise the bet on this one?[/QUOTE]

I worked on a pushboat that had an eye bolt in between the throttles. The throttles would not stay in place past about 2/3 to we had a metal rod that we would slide through the eyebolt. It had cable throttles.