Washington State Ferries operates the largest ferry fleet in the United States. Twenty-two ferries cross Puget Sound and its inland waterways, carrying over 23 million passengers to 20 different terminals. From Tacoma, Washington, to Sidney, British Columbia, WSF travels up and down the Sound, acting as a marine highway for commercial users, tourists, and daily commuters alike. There are over 1800 dedicated employees who have made Washington State Ferries the most popular tourist attraction in the state.
Under the direction of the Director of Vessel Maintenance, Preservation and Engineering, supervises and manages the newly established Vessels Business Staff within the Vessel Maintenance, Preservation and Engineering department of Washington State Ferries. Oversees budget development & execution, audit coordination & response, coordination & development of responses to external inquiries, departmental strategic planning, project administration for capital projects, work order development & execution, and scheduling. Provides intra-departmental support to Senior Port Engineers, the Chief Naval Architect, and the Construction Manager.
Key activities & responsibilities include:
• Coordinate development, implementation & execution of the Vessel Maintenance, Preservation & Engineering (VMPE) Capital Budget.
• Coordinate collection & reporting of financial information for VMPE Performance Reports including Monthly and Quarterly Reports. Includes financial reporting for any future Project Management Reporting systems.
• Oversee completion of VMPE Project Growth Reports.
• Coordinate development, tracking, reporting & close out of Vessel Work Orders.
• Other work as may be assigned by the Director of VMPE particulary with regard to strategic planning for VMPE.
• Liaison with the Finance & Administration Department for all VMPE financial issues.
• Coordinate & draft responses to external financial, programmatic, and administrative inquiries including WSDOT/OFM/Legislature.
• Coordinate support of audit requests and replies/updates to audit findings.
• Coordinate development & maintenance of the overarching VMPE schedule. Liasion with other departments (e.g. communications, operations) to ensure all are aware of schedule plans and revisions. Includes schedule reporting for any Project Management Reporting systems.
• Oversee adminstrative functions that support vessel preservation and construction projects incl. files development/maintenance/incorporation into the WSF Technical Library, close out of contracts, maintenance of conformed contracts & technical specifications, drafting of contract amendments invoice tracking & payment, draft & tracking of contractual letters.
• Develop VMPE strategic and policy documents as directed.
All work is performed in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the Washington State Department of Transportation, the State Office of Financial Management, and per Legislative direction.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
• Engineering experience in the marine vessel industry.
• Experience in the development of major budget requests & execution for vessel capital and/or maintenance programs.
• Supervisory experience.
• Mid-level MS Word, Excel, Email, and Powerpoint skills.
• Effective verbal and written communications skills.
• Does not have to be a registered Professional Engineer.
• BS degree.
Desired Qualifications Include:
• At least 7 years experience working in the maritime industry providing project management and/or budget development support.
All applicants must complete the following supplemental questions for consideration:
- Question 1: Please describe in depth past educational and work experience in the field of marine industry and how they apply to this position.
- Question 2: Please provide several examples (2 to 3) of your experience in developing and executing budgets of significant magnitude. Describe the types of support you provided in developing the budgets, the nature of the budgets, and your level(s) of responsibility in executing the budgets.
How To Apply: To be considered for this position, we would like to have the following materials sent to WSFRecruitment@wsdot.wa.gov by Tuesday, October 27, 2009;
For complete position information and application materials please visit our website at www.wsdot.wa.gov/jobs and reference Job #09-WSF-019.
WSDOT Employment Application
Applicant Profile Form(Optional)
Letter of Interest
Be prepared to provide references at the time of interview.
Electronic application materials in Word format are preferred; however, hard copies may be sent to:
Washington State Ferries
Office of Human Resources
Attn: Denise Freeman-Hayes
2901 - 3rd Ave. Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98121-3014
Phone: (206) 515-3437
FAX: (206) 515-3489
<!-- START CLTAGS -->
[li] <!-- CLTAG GeographicArea=Seattle - Belltown Area -->Location: Seattle - Belltown Area[/li][li] <!-- CLTAG compensation=$73,260- $96,144 per year depending on qualifications. Outstanding benefits including health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance; vacation, sick, military and civil leave; dependent care assistance program; employee assistance program; deferred compensation plans; educational benefits program; 11 paid holidays; and state retirement plans. -->Compensation: $73,260- $96,144 per year depending on qualifications. Outstanding benefits including health, dental, life and long-term disability insurance; vacation, sick, military and civil leave; dependent care assistance program; employee assistance program; deferred compensation plans; educational benefits program; 11 paid holidays; and state retirement plans.[/li][li]Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.[/li][li]Please, no phone calls about this job![/li][li]Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.[/li][/ul]
<!-- END CLTAGS --> <table summary=“craigslist hosted images”> <tbody><tr> <td align=“center”>
</td> <td align=“center”>
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align=“center”>
</td> <td align=“center”>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>