WSF Collision

Doesn’t a sailboat under sail have right of way over an engine powered vessel?
Moreover, it looks like those sailboats are actually racing…

Yes as a general rule, but in Norwegian waters this rule applies: [quote]Rule 44 Responsibilities between vessels
Pleasure crafts and open boats being under oars, sails or engine, shall as far as practicable keep out of the way of larger vessels, scheduled ferries and other commercial traffic when passing narrow waters, a heavily trafficked fairway or a harbour area.[/quote]
Many other countries have similar rules for pleasure crafts.

This video was published in reply to an earlier article in Sysla about pleasure crafts crossing the bow of large vessels at close range, probably not realizing the “Line of Sight” restrictions for the Pilot or OOW on the larger vessels: E24 - Norges største næringslivsavis

They may feel they have full control of the situation, but the people on the bridge does not know if they have any problem and cannot take evasive action in time, if they do.

The golden rule for them to remember is; “If you cannot see the bridge windows on the vessel, they cannot see you”.

Besides, even a small container feeder, (as here) coaster or ferry take time to turn or stop, even if there are no restrictions to hinder maneuvering,

You are right, with some exceptions. A sailing vessel gives way to:

• a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre
  • a vessel constrained by her draught
  • other vessels if the local authorities decided so (in channels or around ports)

The perspective of the video showed the sailboats just under the bow of the vessel… they were far away!
Members of the local regatta club generally know the behavior of the big ships, most often they are not suicidal.

1 Like

Whether they are racing or not has nothing to do with the COLREGS. A sail vessel is the stand on vessel in open waters, and even then only within the limitations of the vessels involved. A tiny maneuverable sail boat has no reason to not avoid a giant ship, even in open waters.

Also, there’s Rule 9:
(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

It is physically impossible for a large ship under way to stop or maneuver quickly enough to avoid a small boat that is so close it cannot be seen over the bow. In this situation, the ship is by definition restricted in its ability to maneuver . Designing a race course to cross paths with ships is irresponsible and dangerous.

“Pecking order”

Not under command
Restricted in ability to maneuver
Constrained by draft
Fishing (commercial)
Sailing
Power vessel
Seaplane

mnemonic:

New
Reels
Catch
Fish
So
Purchase
Some

Sailboats have their own rules when meeting each other while under sail such as starboard tack has right of way over port tack and leeward sailboat is stand on. Unfortunately, too many sailors ignore all COLREGS and don’t monitor the radio.

Here is the SOLAS rules for “Line of Sight” from the bridge of ships over 55 m. LOA: https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/public/c4/solas/solas_v/Regulations/regulation22.htm

Large container ships stretches this rule to the limit, hence the Bridge is placed as far fwrd. as practicable to maximize deck load capacity:

Even a fairly large boat will be obscured quite a distance ahead of this vessel.

Boat US is doing their best to inform the recreational boaters of the danger: http://www.boatus.org/findings/10/

Being in a channel does not make a ship RAM, but it has protections due to being in a “restricted channel or fairway” as I already mentioned.

The definition of RAM would be seismic vessels with a mile of gear out or generally weird and awkward tows (not simply a barge).

I agree 100% with your legal interpretation of the COLREGS. My point is this: too many sailboat operators have caused my heart rate to skyrocket by pulling mind blowing stunts in front of me. Their defense is based on the only portion of the COLREGS they were taught in sailing school, namely that if they are under sail, they are the stand on vessel in a crossing situation with a power vessel . Many of them consider your ship a power vessel and they expect you to give way. Now that I’ve retired and gone over to the dark side teaching recreational sailors, I go beyond what the schools tell them and I teach them the pecking order and tell them this so I can sleep at night: If you are in a crossing situation with a large ship, stay clear and consider him RAM because if you cross in front of him and something goes wrong in your timing or have a gear problem and get into irons, your sailboat might well end up shredded and your status will change from “sailboat captain” to “shark bait”.

If you can’t see him, which way do you alter course? Even assuming you have a lookout on your bow telling you which way to turn, show me an 800’ ship traveling at 20 knots that can make enough of a course change in its own length whether in a channel or in open ocean to accomplish this amazing feat.

1 Like

Easily said. Which way would you have turned here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tUoUxzt9sI

In cases like that the same rules as govern driving in Saigon apply:
MOV00641.AVI (2.6 MB)
The scooters?? Just ignore them, they will take care of themselves.
(Just testing if the direct posting of video works)

This is true but there is more to the story. Sailboat racers are so intent on winning that they won’t give up a second of time if they can avoid it.

Of course, how silly of me. I totally forgot you were the apologist for WSF because you can’t tell anything at all from a video.

I understand that racing it has nothing to do with COLREGS, but if the regatta is a sanctioned event, notices to navigation are posted to inform other traffic of the event taking place.