World's Largest Ship!

Has anyone heard of this?

Envision an ideal place to live or run a business, a friendly, safe and secure community with large areas of open space and extensive entertainment and recreational facilities. Finally, picture this community continually moving around the world. You are beginning to understand the [I]Freedom Ship[/I] concept of a massive ocean-going vessel. With a design length of 4,500 feet, a width of 750 feet, and a height of 350 feet, [I]Freedom Ship[/I] would be more than 4 times longer than the Queen Mary. The design concepts include a mobile modern city featuring luxurious living, an extensive duty-free international shopping mall, and a full 1.7 million square foot floor set aside for various companies to showcase…

http://www.freedomship.com/freedomship/overview/overview.shtml

Not yet built- but cool idea!:smiley:

Youtube animation link–

This project has been around for 20 years but there is no way imo that it will ever be anything other than someones “wet dream”. How could you ever make the hull girder strong enough to not break in multiple places in the first major storm it encounters and how could you turn the think to prevent its hull curving into a crescent shape.

Lastly, in this era of the death of excessive debt and the resurgence of frugality could such a project ever receive any financing. I know that the whole idea was based on creating a new “offshore” banking center but it is obvious that no government in the world would allow that to happen anymore. Time for the mega wealthy to start paying the taxes they owe to the nations where they have made all that money. Switzerland and the Cayman Islands are being squeezed all the time to give up their account holders.

That might be big enough for a strip club and a church.

That’s a fascinating concept if you ask me! :slight_smile:

Aye…canya imagine bein the master of the thing anda havin to make the rounds meeting anda greeting! A man ud be plum exhausted fromma all da smilin anda ud get carpal tunnel syndrome fromma all da handa shakin.

Yude havta play a rounda 18 holes every other day an inspect the bars ta make shure they’r stocked wit the best brans a whuskey.

Actually this has made me realize what it must be like to be the master of Leviathan of the Seas (or whatever the newest mammoth RCL ship is named)! How in the hell can one man be in command of something so immense!?! Being master of 240’ is hard enough sometimes without being able to have a scotch each evening to ease the tensions of the job!

“Freedom of the Seas”

RCL has some pretty ships:)

[B]In the cruise ship industry,[/B] the battle for bragging rights has turned into a QE2-size slugfest. In 2003, Cunard stole the crown for world’s largest cruise ship when it launched the 151,410-ton [I]Queen Mary 2[/I]; three years later Royal Caribbean topped it with the 154,000-ton [I]Freedom of the Seas[/I]. Now, Royal Caribbean is set to raise the stakes yet again with the 220,000-ton [I]Genesis[/I], slated to launch in 2009 from a shipyard in Turku, Finland. (A second [I]Genesis[/I] will launch a year later.) Why is bigger better? “Having more real estate, we can provide more deck area,” says Royal Caribbean’s Harri Kulovaara. “That means more entertainment options and better amenities.”

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/extreme_machines/4217987.html

Imagine doing security rounds on this baby!:eek: