World's largest containership sets sail

notice the flag the vessel flies! whoda thunk it!

//youtu.be/-p5IuT88tQY

[B][U]World’s largest containership starts maiden voyage[/U][/B]

NOVEMBER 8, 2012 — CMA CGM Group reports that the 16,000 TEU CMA CGM Marco Polo, the world’s largest containership, began its first voyage yesterday in Ningbo, China

Built by DSME (Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering) in South Korea, the giant ship flies the U.K flag and is 396 m long, 54 m wide, with a draft of 16 m.

CMA CGM Marco Polo is the first of a series of three 16 000 TEU vessels, that will all be named after great explorers. The delivery of the next two vessels is expected in 2013.

Nicolas Sartini, CMA CGM Group Senior Vice President Asia-Europe Lines, declares:

“It is with great pride that the CMA CGM Group launches this new vessel, which is the largest in the world. It shows the expertise of the Group’s teams, who are able to handle not only the very technical piloting of the ship but also its commercial operations. Our entire network of 400 agencies all around the world is active to ensure the successful launching of this ship.”

CMA CGM Marco Polo is equipped with environmentally friendly technologies that include:

-electronically controlled engine allowing a significantly reduced consumption of fuel(-3% on average) and of lube oil (-25%)
-twisted leading edge rudder improving the hydrodynamics of the vessel (optimization of the water flow), and significantly reducing energy expenditures as well as CO2 emissions.
-Pre-Swirl Stator allowing the straightening up of the water flow upstream from the propeller in order to improve its productivity. Combined with the twisted leading edge rudder, this innovation optimizes
  the hydrodynamics of the vessel and makes it possible to reduce by 2 to 4% the consumption of energy and atmospheric emissions.
-Exhaust Gas Bypass systemreducing the fuel consumption by 1.5% at low speeds.
-optimized hull design
-ballast water treatment system.

so why UK flag and if the UK can attract such a ship from a French company why can’t the US?

I would hazard to say that our liability laws have something to do with it. And I would guess that UK registry allows foreign unlicensed crew. If that’s not enough the Brits tend to be a little more liked internationally. However there are rumors that Maersk will shift ships to US flag when they need to get vessel back in shape after years of certain foreign manning.

Hate to prick your bubble there, but after being aboard more than a thousand ships to specifically evaluate their condition, US flag / US manned vessels are among the oldest and worst maintained of all.

Is it the crew’s fault? - not usually. Is it the flag of the ship that matters? Not usually. Nationality of crew? No way. After a while it is clear that condition really depends more on the owners / managers, their management goals, philosophy and the money available for maintenance of the asset. it depends on having qualified crew, an adequate budget and a schedule that allows the works to be done in the first place.

And a few of the more enlightened US flag operators absolutely set the standard for good maintenance.

But pouring cash into an inefficient ship (limited revenue gen capacity / high op costs /inefficient plant/ low charter rates / upcoming special survey nr. 5…) ? Every ship owner has their own reality, goals and ideas and are going to deal with it as they see fit. Some well, others pretty poorly.

But make no mistake - The nationality of the crew has much less to do with the condition of the ship than the management.

[QUOTE=exsubguy;88143]I would hazard to say that our liability laws have something to do with it. And I would guess that UK registry allows foreign unlicensed crew.[/QUOTE]

The UK instituted a “tonnage tax” about 10 years ago that makes it attractive to flag a ship in the UK. There is no requirement to have any British crew on a UK flagged ship and it is legal for the owner of a UK flagged ship to pay foreign crewmen a far lower wage than a British worker. They can pay as little as the ITF will allow them to get away with.

[QUOTE=+A465B;88162]Hate to prick your bubble there, but after being aboard more than a thousand ships to specifically evaluate their condition, US flag / US manned vessels are among the oldest and worst maintained of all.

Is it the crew’s fault? - not usually. Is it the flag of the ship that matters? Not usually. Nationality of crew? No way. After a while it is clear that condition really depends more on the owners / managers, their management goals, philosophy and the money available for maintenance of the asset. it depends on having qualified crew, an adequate budget and a schedule that allows the works to be done in the first place.

And a few of the more enlightened US flag operators absolutely set the standard for good maintenance.

But pouring cash into an inefficient ship (limited revenue gen capacity / high op costs /inefficient plant/ low charter rates / upcoming special survey nr. 5…) ? Every ship owner has their own reality, goals and ideas and are going to deal with it as they see fit. Some well, others pretty poorly.

But make no mistake - The nationality of the crew has much less to do with the condition of the ship than the management.[/QUOTE]

This probably has to do with our manning. I’ve worked for box boat companies with a U.S. and foreign fleet. The ships we usually get reflagged are in deplorable condition, and in time we get them up the best we can. It’s hard to do with a crew of 21 what the foreign ship does with a crew of 40.

I think under UK law they only have to feed and house you on board BUT they do have to insure you.
Under UK law there is no definition of work hence pay for what?
You cant let a student in the door of your business to do work experience without paying them the minimum wage or you cant get insurance coverage, something to do with the slave act.
But on a vessel you can.

[QUOTE=exsubguy;88143]I would hazard to say that our liability laws have something to do with it. And I would guess that UK registry allows foreign unlicensed crew. If that’s not enough the Brits tend to be a little more liked internationally. However there are rumors that Maersk will shift ships to US flag when they need to get vessel back in shape after years of certain foreign manning.[/QUOTE]Drive your UK flagged ship into UK waters and see how you go with unlicensed crew.
In Australia its handcuffs and deportation not being properly licensed, not sure what the UK do?

WHat nonsense are you writing about. UK flag ships have mandatory crew contracts, and contrary to belief, the crew are actually paid. In fact, our officers some over E10,000 a month, and ratings (Filipino) up to E3000 a month.

[QUOTE=powerabout;88286]Drive your UK flagged ship into UK waters and see how you go with unlicensed crew.
In Australia its handcuffs and deportation not being properly licensed, not sure what the UK do?[/QUOTE]

Do you know what “unlicensed crew” means?

fake or no ticket
what do you say it is?

[QUOTE=+A465B;88288]WHat nonsense are you writing about. UK flag ships have mandatory crew contracts, and contrary to belief, the crew are actually paid. In fact, our officers some over E10,000 a month, and ratings (Filipino) up to E3000 a month.[/QUOTE]
I’m didnt say you dont get a contract but show me the MGN where a rate of pay is mentioned or pay at all or any law that covers that?
On the land a minumum wage started about 1999 so ( unless i’m wrong ) about another 20 before the shipping industry will catch up
Different law applies to UK flagged vessels that don’t enter UK ports ( I just read that one)

[QUOTE=powerabout;88306]fake or no ticket
what do you say it is?[/QUOTE]

A lot of your comments are pretty good, so I am going to explain this to you.

In the way we use the terminology here in the US, the “licensed crew” are only the ships officers (i.e.,master, mates, engineers), and the “unlicensed crew” are the documented “ratings” (i.e. OS, AB, wipers, oilers, electricians, etc.). All of whom must have a USCG issued MMC (Merchant Mariner’s Credential) or “ticket” with the appropriate endorsements authorizing them to serve in the capacities in which they are engaged aboard the ship. In short, only the officers are “licensed,” and every other member of the crew is an “unlicensed” rating.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;88309]A lot of your comments are pretty good, so I am going to explain this to you.

In the way we use the terminology here in the US, the “licensed crew” are only the ships officers (i.e.,master, mates, engineers), and the “unlicensed crew” are the documented “ratings” (i.e. OS, AB, wipers, oilers, electricians, etc.). All of whom must have a USCG issued MMC (Merchant Mariner’s Credential) or “ticket” with the appropriate endorsements authorizing them to serve in the capacities in which they are engaged aboard the ship. In short, only the officers are “licensed,” and every other member of the crew is an “unlicensed” rating.[/QUOTE]

I like the terminology that everyone in a vessel’s crew is a “certified seaman” and officers are additionally “licensed seamen” but in the end everyone is a seaman under the definition of Title46 USCode 10101(3).

Now that I am told I do not have to pay the (12 nationality) crew anything on the UK flag ship sitting in the drydock, I’ll let the captain know about this new policy first thing in the morning.

Then I can check back at lunch time and see how many are still aboard.

works for a a few ships coming out of Africa and going to the UK.
They carry sick people and dump them in the port so they get to use the wonderful National Health system in the UK

Too much KoolAid … change the channel.

sorry off track there
nice to see it has a smaller engine than the Emma but shifts more containers