Working Offshore WITHOUT a Knife

[QUOTE=john;185929]The problem has little to do with P&I insurance and more to do with Parkinson’s law of triviality (also known as “bike-shedding”). https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality Unfortunately, once the company has built a massive HS&E department to build all of those bike sheds they turn their eyes on things that seem trivial to a office weenie but are not the least bit trivial to the mariner of deck (e.g. Knives)[/QUOTE]

Reminiscent of Stafford Beer “the purpose of a system is what it does”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stafford_Beer

I worked as AB the past 5 years on a semi-sub. Interesting, the official company policy (idiots) was no knife, but one of our OIM’s (good man) ordered a box of cheap Gerbers and made sure all AB’s and mates had one.
Unfortunately, the heliport security would confiscate any knife.

The client I work for has a “no knives” policy, however, most people still carry them. They just don’t flaunt it. Every once in a while we’ll receive a safety notice about a “near miss” incident involving someone who got tangled up in something during operations on the deck, who thankfully was able to cut themself free with a knife they were carrying. Of course, the company is greatful they were able to get free and says nothing about the knife, but the no knife policy continues and is enforced.

[QUOTE=freighterman;185800]My question is, what causes companies to make the policy? Too many people accidentally injuring themselves, or too many incidents of people threatening, or purposely injuring, others? Or both?[/QUOTE]

I know that the few injuries that have happened involving knives were due to improper use of their knife, not someone using their knife properly. We are pushing back with “Education Safety” not “Elimination Safety”. Is it easier to eliminate than educate? Has anyone seen any formal "knife use education program?

1 Like

Coming from the Research Vessel community, I can tell you that pointy knives are a real hazard with inexperienced people. I used sheepsfoot knives on research vessels for 30 years, and never missed the pointy tip. My employer(s) have had policies against sharp-pointed knives for the entire time. As a safety measure, I am all in favor of this policy. Even though my seagoing days are over, I still carry my Myerchin Offshore. It’s just too handy to leave at home.

2 Likes

So sad but this culture is here to stay. Common sense and personal responsibility are in short supply in the work force these days

1 Like

I can see losing the sharp tip knives, but no knives at all is wrong.

2 Likes