Wondering how is the weather offshore right now?

I see gale warnings up for the entire GoM right now. Any reports from the battlefield?

GMZ001-070230-
SYNOPSIS FOR THE GULF OF MEXICO
926 AM EST MON JAN 6 2014

.SYNOPSIS…A VERY STRONG COLD FRONT EXTENDING FROM THE FLORIDA
BIG BEND TO 21N94W TO THE BAY OF CAMPECHE WILL PUSH SE OF THE
BASIN THIS EVENING. SUSTAINED GALE FORCE WINDS WILL OCCUR ACROSS
THE CENTRAL…SE…AND SW GULF WATERS BEHIND THE FRONT…WITH
FREQUENT GUSTS TO GALE FORCE ACROSS THE NORTHERN GULF WATERS.
STRONG SOUTHERLY RETURN FLOW WILL SET UP ACROSS THE NW GULF WATERS
TUE NIGHT…DIMINISHING SLIGHTLY BY LATE WED…WITH MODERATE TO
FRESH RETURN FLOW ELSEWHERE ACROSS THE GULF WED THROUGH THE END OF
THE WEEK.

$$

Glad I am not there!

Well, as a pensioner, as usual I was foraging for food on the beach with my surf rods out. The front came in like a lamb for 2 hours until the shit hit the fan. Gusts to 40 and 30 degree drop over the afternoon. Supposed to be colder tomorrow. Time for oyster stew.

Cold enough for smoke on the water coming back to Fourchon from MC. :slight_smile:

A first for most of the crew.

didn’t know Deep Purple was playing the Gulf?

//youtu.be/7mCK05dgwgU

ROCK ON BRO!

12-14 footers in Mexico with an occasional 17 footer. 3 meter heave up 3 meter heave down. Gusts to 48 knots. Great sleeping weather. Choppers turned around. Glad my crew change is Thursday and not Monday.

Exactly what we are seeing still 80 miles south of Hole in the Wall. Has been like this since we left the rig at 120nm.

So glad I’m in front of the fire with a big pot of buffalo chili on the stove and the better part of a bottle of a very decent Cab, down the hatch.

25 to 30 footers, with the occasional 45 footer, off the coast of Montana this morning, but only because Sweat-n-Grease is mad about how cold it is up there these days and he’s been pounding his fists in the bathtub out of frustration. Anybody hear from that old s-o-b lately? How the hell is he doing?

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;127733]25 to 30 footers, with the occasional 45 footer, off the coast of Montana this morning, but only because Sweat-n-Grease is mad about how cold it is up there these days and he’s been pounding his fists in the bathtub out of frustration. Anybody hear from that old s-o-b lately? How the hell is he doing?[/QUOTE]

I’ll email the old curmudgeon to see how he is fairing in the far Bitteroots…

can’t be very pleasant, that’s for sure!

[QUOTE=c.captain;127745]I’ll email the old curmudgeon to see how he is fairing in the far Bitteroots…

can’t be very pleasant, that’s for sure![/QUOTE]

Tell him he’s missed but not to let it go to his head or we’ll have to knock him down a peg or two…

The Bitteroots are the sunbelt of Montana! I’ll be glad to get back to the Flathead weds. night to check on the weather personally! Had 10-12 footers and wind up to the low 50’s at LOOP this morning…

At 0100 on Tuesday it’s still blowing 25-35 with gusts to 40 knots at 60 nm from Hole in the Wall. The platform still calls us every couple of hours for a weather report. Doesn’t a squillion dollar oil platform have an anemometer? Geez, could you walk outside and look maybe?

But where’s the freezing spray?!??!? No fun without that.

[QUOTE=z-drive;127774]But where’s the freezing spray?!??!? No fun without that.[/QUOTE]

They might just have it before long. Hasn’t anyone seen that movie “The Day After Tomorrow”? We all know how this is going to end but it yous guys in New York who are going to get really screwed! I think the poster for the movie had the back end of a tanker standing on end somewhere in the 20-40-odd feet that is beautiful Bay Ridge anchorage.

[QUOTE=water;127712]Cold enough for smoke on the water coming back to Fourchon from MC. :slight_smile:

A first for most of the crew.[/QUOTE]

“Smoke on the Water” back in the winter of 83/84 running between Lake Charles and Mobile

Towing2 83 by cmakin, on Flickr