Who is in charge if?

Don’t you just love acronyms ?
OICNW OICEW on and on…

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;71051]In many cases the C/E can be a huge help for the master, and the mates as well for that matter. I’ve spend many an hour hashing over various topics with the C/E… An experienced C/E willing to keep on top of whats going on can be very valuable.[/QUOTE]

and a few can be nosey busybodies who think they can run the ship better than the master. When one gets pissy with me, I tell him to go back down in his greasy dungeon and whip the slaves some more! There is a reason that God chose deck officers to be the ones to become the Masters and not engineers.

but, give me a Scotty and I’ll conquer the Klingon Empire! Now, every master needs his own Montgomery Scott!

He can sit in my big captain’s chair anytime while me and my “away party” are “partying away” down on the planet Nymphon-7

“we need more rum Scotty” & be a pal and “beam us down another case of those Starfleet Mk V prophylactics while you’re at it…”!

Come on, ya’ll need to stop pitchin all these little girl lazy softballs and start throwing some heat!

Ouch…

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;71109]Google Early Cuyler and you will see![/QUOTE]

Oh my…I am so sorry. I not no idea you had such a horrible illness!

have any of the meds they’ve tried helped at all? how about the electrodes?

No sir they say it is an incurable affliction and to keep consuming copious amounts of brown party liquors and huff until black out!

[QUOTE=c.captain;71067]Yeah, but the only vessels with Chief Mate’s are subchapter D, H, I and U vessels over 1600tons. That is a pretty small bunch in the big picture yet I say that if the master croaks put up NUC “red over red the master is dead” and everybody fight to be the “new” captain. The last man on his feet gets the job!

Anybody remember the movie with James Mason and Broderick Crawford titled “The Decks Ran Red”? Chief Engineer Crawford seizes a Liberty Ship and Captain Mason takes it back by swimming back to the ship from a lifeboat! A stupid movie with Dorothy Dandridge in a ridiculous role only so a sexy dame could be in the cast and an ludicrous implausible plot but full of GREAT SHOTS OF A REAL LIBERTY SHIP IN IT!

I don’t remember what Broderick’s beef was with the captain anyway…must’ve been that old MMP vs. MEBA pissing contest!

.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I liked that movie. Dandridge plays the Maori wife of the cook (hey, brown is brown). Catalina Island stands in for New Zealand. The Mason character is drawn from the Matson passenger liner (can’t recall which one) to join the ship. He even gets into a Matson company car to be taken to the airport. The lack of a Matson “M” on the stack of the Liberty Ship is explained by a charter (I notice details like this). You are absolutely correct about the shots onboard the ship. I don’t think that much was shot on a set. I don’t know that the Crawford character had a personal beef with the Captain; he was just out to get the salvage money. The dynamic in the crew about the office bringing in an outsider to be Captain instead of promoting the Chief Mate worke, in my opinion.

[QUOTE=c.captain;71108]Tell me…what is that avatar of yours supposed to be anyway? I liked the one with the pic of the big diesel a lot better![/QUOTE]

I try to explain Squid billies and the best I can come up with it is the misunderstood plight of the southern man, except the man is a squid. The best thing is to watch the show with an open mind and let the shear stupidity of it wash over you.

I mean come on who doesn’t love spending all their free time at the giggly hut, what problem can’t be solved with some party liquor, and who doesn’t want a truck-boat-truck?

Also if you want to listen to some great country music that will have you rolling on the wheel house floor look up Unknown Hinson. He does the voice of Early.

Chief Mate. The SNPRM will clearly define C/M for all vessels if it ever comes out.

Even H and T have specially designated ‘Unlicensed “Mates”’ who by direction are 'second in charge in case of incapacitation. I don’t quite understand how this is acceptable, but apparently the SPV association has better clout than one would realize. Nothing like not having to pay an actually licensed mate when an unlicensed mate will do.

IIRC the official term is “Senior Deckhand.” And it was listed on the H boat COI I was a passenger on last week.

[QUOTE=GYRO;71110]Don’t you just love acronyms ?
OICNW OICEW on and on…[/QUOTE]

There’s So many acronyms in the US Naval lexicon they are listed in their own book, the “DICNAVAB”

[QUOTE=c.captain;71111]
but, give me a Scotty and I’ll conquer the Klingon Empire!
.[/QUOTE]

Before I viewed the picture of Mr Scott, I thought you giving us your preferance for Scott paper products in the privy.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;71178]Before I viewed the picture of Mr Scott, I thought you giving us your preference for Scott paper products in the privy.[/QUOTE]

That’s why they’re called And[B][I][U]roids[/U][/I][/B]

baboom…cha!

I’ve been the Chief Mate in a major emergency, called to the Bridge to relieve the Captain. It wasn’t fun. But more importantly, it left a leadership void on deck. Although the fire teams got things under control (this was a progressive flooding case), things would have gone smoother, safer and quicker with an on scene leader in charge of the multiple teams out there.

So when I had a chance to write a Station Bill for a new ship, we made the Chief Engineer second in command. Also, the Chief’s is already on the Bridge in an emergency and during drills so he knows the routine. And MEM is on his training matrix.

If you’re Chief Mate is second in command, be sure someone is trained to replace him or her outside and knows the ship intimately.

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;71447]I’ve been the Chief Mate in a major emergency, called to the Bridge to relieve the Captain. It wasn’t fun. But more importantly, it left a leadership void on deck. Although the fire teams got things under control (this was a progressive flooding case), things would have gone smoother, safer and quicker with an on scene leader in charge of the multiple teams out there.

So when I had a chance to write a Station Bill for a new ship, we made the Chief Engineer second in command. Also, the Chief’s is already on the Bridge in an emergency and during drills so he knows the routine. And MEM is on his training matrix.

If you’re Chief Mate is second in command, be sure someone is trained to replace him or her outside and knows the ship intimately.[/QUOTE]

Seems like you are asking how should the emergency teams be organized. Generally speaking expertise is in short supply on ships even under routine operations. The shortage worsens in an emergency.

K.C.

• A second point is that focus should be on constantly increasing the skills of the junior officers and crew starting when they arrive on board. This is more work overall but it means the crew will be more capable when the s**t hits the fan.

Hey Stick Man, Give me a call. I lost your number.