Where is this school heading to?

Does that 90% include all of A&M or just the maritime academy? I’m not familiar with how they have it set up there.

And calling them civilian students is pretty much the nomenclature at SUNY. It rolls of the tongue easier then non-reg, and when I was there most classmates, professors, administrators used “civilian students”, “civies”, “non-reg”, and “non-regimental students” interchangeably.

Just the Galveston/Maritime Academy campus. Heck, my class at TMA started with 140-ish cadets and there were only 6 of us getting sworn at my graduation. Course, the whole campus combined was trying to break 2000 students enrolled by 2000, so needless to say things have changed in 16 years.

I’m honestly not sure what the corps:non-reg ratio is up at main campus, but then again, they always have been huge on the corps of cadets so I’d guess much closer to 50:50. Not going to even try to explain that one in depth though since it has nothing to do with the maritime academy.

[QUOTE=cylinderhd;190840]I think most of our graduates probably doesnt even know what is happening in this school.
They kick shit tons of 1/c out of new dorm because they accept shit tons of civilian student which is good… and I happy about it because it is becoming a Throggs Neck Tech. Also, the class room is quite crowded, approximately 30-50 ppl and I really like because you get know more people.
Also, registration is going perfect right now because freshman get to registrar first…which is good as well because we need to be nice to the freshman. If you didnt get in to a class then u have to fight through the whole campus to get into one class.
Yeah, this college is way better than it use to be.[/QUOTE]

Umm… what did you just say? Clearly it’s not “way better” than it use to be.

our school is doing fine.

Just so all you current Domer’s are aware, in my day there was only the regiment and everyone got a license. Each class started with roughly 150 cadets and by the end of four years roughly half and typically less than half were left at graduation. The school was in horrendous disrepair and was quite frankly going to go under if nothing was done. What was done shortly after I left really resurrected the school. I’ve been back and seen the difference just in the facilities and it is remarkable. It’s always going to be a miserable place to attend (especially in the winter) but if you are there to get a license and come out into the industry, do it. Who cares if there are some other people there that are, for whatever reason, at a maritime school to learn how to work in an office.

Maybe it was better when it was a shithole but I doubt it. Power through, get yourself a commercial cadet berth while KP is in kumbaya training, and prepare to live the rest of your life. It’s actually pretty good once you leave that gate for the last time.

2 Likes

“Kumbaya training”. . . .thanks. . .

[QUOTE=cylinderhd;190840]I think most of our graduates probably doesnt even know what is happening in this school.
They kick shit tons of 1/c out of new dorm because they accept shit tons of civilian student which is good… and I happy about it because it is becoming a Throggs Neck Tech. Also, the class room is quite crowded, approximately 30-50 ppl and I really like because you get know more people.
Also, registration is going perfect right now because freshman get to registrar first…which is good as well because we need to be nice to the freshman. If you didnt get in to a class then u have to fight through the whole campus to get into one class.
Yeah, this college is way better than it use to be.[/QUOTE]

Next time you post do not make the school and the current students look bad with the horrendous grammar please. Not every other sentence needs to end in “…”

As a SUNY alumnus who no longer works in the industry but haunts occupation related forums frequently let me post a gentle reminder:
NOTHING is anonymous for long. Your posts will always end up reflecting directly on you and your associates. The image you project will be the image people remember. You are representing not just yourself but your school, your industry, your occupation, etc.
Think before you post.

P.S. And almost all HR professionals now data mine social media platforms to help further separate and select candidates.

That is true. Very true.

I watched a 1st class have a meltdown because it was a week from arrival NY and he had still not stood one watch as CWO. They need to keep in mind the space aboard ship before allowing too many to enroll and enter the college.

of course they will all close if the Jones act is repealed?